Dual battery issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting article that was linked to,, although their assertation of a 1/2 volt drop was somewhat extreme, a more common voltage drop, with short cables, (if they're of good size,) would be ~ 1/10 of a volt,, perhaps a bit more.
Anyway, ran two batts in my old square-body for years with no issues, and the batts were off diff ages and capacity, and never had any issues.
Lots of larger boats have 2>6 batts connected together, and go for years of service.
It sounds like there is something not quite right with the 2nd batt that is beyond a simple CCA or date mismatch,, that alone would not cause two batts, (that were well charged,) to "go dead".
That article was directed at the motorhome community, which in many cases, might have batteries mounted several feet from one another,, like one next to the engine, and another maybe 10 feet or more away,, like some guy with a big stereo system that puts a second batt in the trunk of the car,, it works, but to keep the voltage drop down, (within 1/10 volt,)you need huge cables, like big welding cables.
The use of a solenoid or a manual switch is a good idea in any case.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What he said [emoji115][emoji115][emoji115] I use 1/0 gauge OFC cable for both my ground and power, 0 issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have factory dual cables and when. I got my truck they were different brands and size. I swapped in the yellow tops from my other diesel I was selling and it wasn't even noticeable. I recently did 1o from battery to battery. Battery to starter. Battery to alternator (high output) and #4awg from battery to buss bar in engine bay on firewall. This made a HUGE difference in the speed and ease of starting. I think with cable and lugs it's was like $30 total... I am upset I didn't do this years ago

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting article that was linked to,, although their assertation of a 1/2 volt drop was somewhat extreme, a more common voltage drop, with short cables, (if they're of good size,) would be ~ 1/10 of a volt,, perhaps a bit more.
Anyway, ran two batts in my old square-body for years with no issues, and the batts were off diff ages and capacity, and never had any issues.
Lots of larger boats have 2>6 batts connected together, and go for years of service.
It sounds like there is something not quite right with the 2nd batt that is beyond a simple CCA or date mismatch,, that alone would not cause two batts, (that were well charged,) to "go dead".
That article was directed at the motorhome community, which in many cases, might have batteries mounted several feet from one another,, like one next to the engine, and another maybe 10 feet or more away,, like some guy with a big stereo system that puts a second batt in the trunk of the car,, it works, but to keep the voltage drop down, (within 1/10 volt,)you need huge cables, like big welding cables.
The use of a solenoid or a manual switch is a good idea in any case.
This is true what Gibson is saying one bad battery will make the other battery to drain especially if there's no isolater installed between the 2 batteries.