Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't even see one. About a week ago I started taking the boot off for a while at night and moving it around a bit so it doesn't lock solid. If they send me to PT, and I really hope I don't have to, I'm pretty good at following their direction.
I'm glad that recovery is going well so far for you and you're getting some decent sleep.

Definitely follow what PT orders, and continue doing it afterwards. I slacked off on it sooner than I should have, "I'm only 30 (then) and active, it'll stay loose", except it didn't. Yesterday after being up and down ladders, on a shed roof, and dragging tree debris around, then hanging out at the neighbors while kids played, ankle was super stiff after 5 minutes of sitting down.

Wish you all the best with rehab of foot, and shoulder.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm glad that recovery is going well so far for you and you're getting some decent sleep.

Definitely follow what PT orders, and continue doing it afterwards. I slacked off on it sooner than I should have, "I'm only 30 (then) and active, it'll stay loose", except it didn't. Yesterday after being up and down ladders, on a shed roof, and dragging tree debris around, then hanging out at the neighbors while kids played, ankle was super stiff after 5 minutes of sitting down.

Wish you all the best with rehab of foot, and shoulder.
Lol.....ya, being mobile is something I take pretty serious. It's no fun when the back seizes up.
My wife had dictated when I'm home, I have to take my empty glass to the kitchen and fill it up, only then will she bring it back to the couch. The girls have a bit more empathy for their "broken bald old man" as the one so lovingly calls me!!! Lol.
I have to correct her, there IS a difference between bald and balding!!! Lol

What's that saying, youth is wasted on the young!! That's how my body feels!
The stories were true, going over 40, it's all downhill!!! Lol

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Lol.....ya, being mobile is something I take pretty serious. It's no fun when the back seizes up.
My wife had dictated when I'm home, I have to take my empty glass to the kitchen and fill it up, only then will she bring it back to the couch. The girls have a bit more empathy for their "broken bald old man" as the one so lovingly calls me!!! Lol.
I have to correct her, there IS a difference between bald and balding!!! Lol

What's that saying, youth is wasted on the young!! That's how my body feels!
The stories were true, going over 40, it's all downhill!!! Lol
I know what you mean on the balding part. My elder daughter (4) drew a family picture, first I had long hair, then none at all when my son commented on it and she erased all of it making me completely bald. I’ve still got some left, just thin.

Connorpod

Reaction score
So you decided to go LS eh? Excited for you and this awesome build. Looking forward to comparing our builds once both of them are done. PS: there are tons of LS engines in BC and Alberta. You just have to be okay with pulling them out of a wrecked vehicle and losing a weekend. Good luck from one province over :)

Connorpod

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope recovery is going smoothly. Truly an awful thing that happened. Hopefully it has given you a chance to study up one what you plan to do next on the build!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you decided to go LS eh? Excited for you and this awesome build. Looking forward to comparing our builds once both of them are done. PS: there are tons of LS engines in BC and Alberta. You just have to be okay with pulling them out of a wrecked vehicle and losing a weekend. Good luck from one province over :)
Ya, I'm about 99% going to head the LS route. For the budget I have/had, it really makes sense. I would love to build a nasty little 383, but the $$$ involved in that VS a LS is hard to justify.

There are a few pick n pulls and other yards around here, so no real shortage of them. But as you know, this is 4x4 country. Even when these trucks were new, the vast majority of them were 4x4, and it's only gotten "worse" as time goes on. So finding a 2wd doner is harder than our friends south of the border.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope recovery is going smoothly. Truly an awful thing that happened. Hopefully it has given you a chance to study up one what you plan to do next on the build!

Thanks. It's been tough, but it's getting better now, day by day. I can hobble around the house now without the crutches. So that definitely helps me feel a bit better mentally, not so reliant on the wife/kids/parents to get things.

And ya, definitely took advantage of the WIFI in the office to cruise here and YouTube for a while. Now I'm keeping myself busy at work learning Excel, Word etc. And later this week and for the next month, going to be busy doing the NCSO (safety guy) courses. Already had some good discussions with a few people at work about making that transition after I heal up. So I'm kinda excited to see what happens.

I'm a big believer in "everything happens for a reason" , for the most part. So this little sidetrack may just be the career "shift" I've been looking for.

Thanks for reading my thread and posting. Always nice when another Canuck drops by!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't want to mix this up in the Funny Stuff thread so thought I'd drop by over here and ask.

How's recovery coming along?
Going good. Been doing physio for a few weeks now. X-rays every couple of weeks still show the fracture and the latest round show bone chips on the other side. Ultrasound on the shoulder last week showed a 10cm x 4cm x 2cm tear in one of the muscles. But it honestly doesn't bug me too much until I'm sleeping in a my preferred position.
Got fitted for a soft ankle brace last week and started wearing it this week at home. So I've been hobbling around on it. Haven't used crutches inside for a few weeks. Just outside when it's snow/mud.
But the docs and physio people are all amazed at how I'm recovering, said most people would still be in a world of pain and hardly trying to walk with the location of the fracture.

But overall I'm very happy with my progress.
Been learning the joys of excel and PowerPoint when at work. Been fun.
Almost done my NCSO courses for being a safety dude. See if my company actually follows through and ships me to the safety dept or toss me back in the field with a tool belt or get bumped up to a foreman, which was the plan before the incident.

As for the truck, nothing has happened since. I'm thinking in the next few weeks I'll probably get the big to go out and continue with it. Weather is starting to get nice up here. But snow again next week.

But thanks for asking, been meaning to update this thread with my tale of woe, so thanks for the push!! Lol

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear recovery is going well, at least for the foot. Bummer on the shoulder and muscle tear. Hoping it mends quickly and no long term loss of use after its healed up.

Truck will come along in due time. Got to get yourself in shape first. And you're gaining some new skills in the meantime as well.