Dropping a 4x4 oil pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm attempting to change my oil pan gasket on a 4x4 92 Chevy k1500 and haven't been able to find anything about getting the oil pan past the differential. I've already got it drained and unbolted, the starter and flywheel dust cover off. My question is, does the entire differential have to come out? Or what is the process of getting it out of the way? Do I need to put it on jack stands, does it need to be drained, can just the housing be removed, if so, how much? I don't know the first thing about a front differential, so any and all info/advice would be very much appreciated

You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
You can pull the front diff fairly easily. Unbolt the drive shaft from the diff yoke, both outer drive axles,(6 bolts each side) unplug the wiring harness and either remove the vent hose or snake it down from the top. If you decide to remove the vent hose put a cap on the barb on the diff to keep the lube from spilling out.Then you can unbolt the diff mounting bolts and swing it down and out of the way. It should take about 1 hour to an hour and a half if you have not done it before. Then you will have a world of room.

Matthew Groat

Reaction score
Put a jack on the bottom of the block with a piece of wood and unbolt the motor mounts. You can lift the motor up and it will give you room to take the oil pan, slide past/under the flexplate

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What the second guy said. Undo the motor mount bolts, lift and support the engine SECURELY and replace the oil pan.

Literally 2 bolts to let loose vs what about 18? To do the diff.

Dropping the diff is way more work.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I" would pull the engine.

Yeah, that's a lot of work, but you'd be able to clean the entire thing, and get the pan gasket, rear main seal, front seal, timing chain 'n' sprockets, etc.

I've installed pan gaskets "in the car", and I'll never do it again if there's a crossmember or differential in the way.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Put a jack on the bottom of the block with a piece of wood and unbolt the motor mounts. You can lift the motor up and it will give you room to take the oil pan, slide past/under the flexplate
I did the same on my 454 except I removed the dist. cap just in case.Also it might be necessary to rotate the engine to get the rod journal for #1 & #2 pistons up out the way.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yep, lift the engine just enough to slide it out. or if your not comfortable with that drop the diff. It sucks because it should be a simple pan gasket bu it is what it is.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put it on from the bottom and wiggled it over the edges. I eventually worked it on. I'm gonna finish it up later today when my oil filter relocation kit gets delivered.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I just put it on from the bottom and wiggled it over the edges. I eventually worked it on. I'm gonna finish it up later today when my oil filter relocation kit gets delivered.
That's exactly how I do the ford 4.9's and 5.8's up at work. Haven't had a leak yet with this method. As long as it's clean and doesn't rip!