Driveshaft angle .......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A friend of mine (Jim) in Saginaw worked with Les Staudacher. Staudacher, in Baytown Mi, was behind the Allison engines / hydro boat marriage, specifically Miss Budweiser and others. Jim worked on those engines with Les and has in his possession a set of service manuals for the Allison V12 engines.

Jim and I've been to the air races in Reno to see the unlimited class races, in particular "Voodoo" P-51 (Merlin V-12 powered) piloted by Steven Hinton, Jr. Steve's uncle, John Hinton, took me for a ride in one of the P-51s owned by the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA. Fun times.

Talk about derailing a thread...
AWESOME.... !!!! VERY COOL !!!

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine (Jim) in Saginaw worked with Les Staudacher. Staudacher, in Baytown Mi, was behind the Allison engines / hydro boat marriage, specifically Miss Budweiser and others. Jim worked on those engines with Les and has in his possession a set of service manuals for the Allison V12 engines.

Jim and I've been to the air races in Reno to see the unlimited class races, in particular "Voodoo" P-51 (Merlin V-12 powered) piloted by Steven Hinton, Jr. Steve's uncle, John Hinton, took me for a ride in one of the P-51s owned by the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA. Fun times.

Talk about derailing a thread...
Unfortunately we had our last air race this year in Reno.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My friend Jim wasn’t involved in the competition (as owner / driver / sponsor) he simply helped Les Staudacher with the Allison engines.
Ok, I best stop the off subject post LOL... I kinda hyjacked my own thread questions leading to boats. Later on someone seeing it about shaft angle probably be confused like WTF? LOL

jaybee

Reaction score
Those were remarkable boats. The age of Allison-engined hydroplanes was when I was just growing up.

The transmission tailshaft and diff should have equal and opposite angles. Or rear end of the front driveshaft and diff in the case of a two piece driveshaft with carrier bearing. If they don't, they will vibrate. Ideally the angle should be limited to 5 degrees or less. That's because driveshafts slightly speed up and slow down twice per revolution, with the U joints at each end evening out the pulsations. So, if the angle is too great or they aren't within a couple 3 degrees of equal, you get a vibration. A lot of people put the nose of the rear end down slightly on the theory the nose rises under power. A lot of people don't. It sems to work fine either way.

All that said, the U joints should NOT be in a straight line. They should be parallel but offset. That's because a perfectly straight driveline doesn't work the needle bearings in the caps back and forth. That's important because the grease doesn't work though the assembly and with pressure always on the same side of the needles, they'll pound a flat spot on them with time while also making little grooves in the race. https://www.rexnord.com/blog/articl...ccurs when the,accelerate other forms of wear.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what I was referring to. Should be available to download on the forum

QA1 also recommends 1/2 degree minimum. I've read it in the Dana/Spicer literature as well but can't seem to find that reference.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
QA1 also recommends 1/2 degree minimum. I've read it in the Dana/Spicer literature as well but can't seem to find that reference.

Well then seems like we agree it shouldn't be 0, which answers the op question:)