Driveshaft angle .......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have air in the rear. The bottom license plate holes are the individual line valve stems. Will air in the rear raised just a bit change the angle of the shaft?

You must be registered for see images attach
It depends on what the suspension setup is but yeah it will change some

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having 0° angle at the transmission and differential is actually ideal. This reduces drivetrain losses, increases how much power the shaft can handle and increases the u joint longevity.

He doesn't have IRS though. :)

The pinion rotates up when the driveshaft spins, so usually a slightly down angle (-3 give or take) is required at rest. At full throttle it points up a lot.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about drivetrain. But I can tell you in the gm manual, it says the drive shaft should have a slight angle , otherwise premature wear will happen.

I've read the same... maybe read it in the same place as you.

I wonder if it's got something to do with the needle bearings' wear / longevity. I imagine a slight angle would help keep all the needles uniformly lubricated, as the spider ("cross") rocks back and forth in the bearing cups.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've read the same... maybe read it in the same place as you.

I wonder if it's got something to do with the needle bearings' wear / longevity. I imagine a slight angle would help keep all the needles uniformly lubricated, as the spider ("cross") rocks back and forth in the bearing cups.
That's what I was assuming as well. Premature wear on the needle bearings, if not in an angle

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting I’ve never heard of a driveshaft minimum angle until now, I’ve always just heard less angle=better. I tried doing some research on it and still couldn’t come up with a whole lot but there are some others recommending 1/2° minimum for lubrication of the needle bearings.