Driver's side CV Shaft replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axewhlder

Reaction score
Mine is busted and spewing crap everywhere.

Anyway, any tricks before I dive into it? Basically, take off the wheel, loosen the nut, break the axle loose from the hub and loosen the retaining bolts. Is there anything else I need to disconnect?

Also, what size is the retaining nut on the end of the shaft? I may have to go buy one.

Thanks.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You pretty much got it.

36mm socket is needed. You can "rent" from vatozone. Remove the axle nut before jacking up the truck.

Axewhlder

Reaction score
You pretty much got it.

36mm socket is needed. You can "rent" from vatozone. Remove the axle nut before jacking up the truck.

"Vatozone" hahah. Nice.

So nothing else needs to be loosened or moved to get the axle out?

Thanks for the input.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Pretty straightforward. If you plan to do front end work yourself the 36mm is a good investment. Sounds like you got it figured out. Only thing if you need a little more space to move unbolt the tie rod from the knuckle. Should slide out with a little convincing.

While you are under there on that side check your front diff fluid level and color. And check the other side shaft for signs of failure. If yours split due to weather checks an age and you haven't ever touched the other side you may want to take a gander at that one. If the boot is dry and cracking replace it as well.

Tyler/T-Unit

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had to remove the lower shock bolt and move the shock out of the way on some, then others have needed the sway bar link to be moved to get enough room. Its a little tight if you have factory skid plates but it should drop down and wiggle its way under it.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
If your front suspension is at full droop while your doing it (ie; jack stands under the frame) then you'll probably have to jack up one side to get the axle out.

Edit: You will definitely need to jack up under the wheel bearing area to get the CV axle out. Once it looks "level" or straight, it should slide out.

Edit: Passenger side, I had to remove the sway bar link before the axle would come out.

Last edited:

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
I know it's an old thread, folks, better to bump this than make a new one.

My passenger side boot is tore as I noticed tonight, this thread pretty much summed up what I need to do since I've never replaced one on a GMT400 before. Are there any specific brands anyone would suggest over another?

Pic of tore boot for schnitzengiggle

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I asked about brands over on Fullsizechevy, and didn't get much besides what I considered trolling. One guy said he bought whatever Oreilly sold him, and that was about the best info I got. I ended up getting a new Chinese Cardone through Rockauto. It was just over $50 shipped, I think. I did end up knocking the ABS ring off of it, since on our trucks it's internal to the hubs. One thing I liked about the new one, is that it came with the dust shield that some of the rebuilt shafts I looked at, a few years ago, didn't include. I was missing the shield on my driver's side because I bent it.

Oh, and a 35mm socket will probably work better.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
I asked about brands over on Fullsizechevy, and didn't get much besides what I considered trolling. One guy said he bought whatever Oreilly sold him, and that was about the best info I got. I ended up getting a new Chinese Cardone through Rockauto. It was just over $50 shipped, I think. I did end up knocking the ABS ring off of it, since on our trucks it's internal to the hubs. One thing I liked about the new one, is that it came with the dust shield that some of the rebuilt shafts I looked at, a few years ago, didn't include. I was missing the shield on my driver's side because I bent it.

Oh, and a 35mm socket will probably work better.

Great info, thanks. I'll keep my eye out for the dust shield shaft when I do my shopping around this week.