CV Shaft Removal, Already pulled the knuckle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm pulling the whole front end apart to replace all the bushings and ball joints and I forgot to loosen the CV shaft bolts to the diff before pulling the knuckle out on the passengers side. I could put the hub back on the drivers side to use the jam the brake rotor technique but how do I get the passenger apart as I can't quite sneak the rear bolt out of the LCA past the flange attached.

Thanks

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can loosen (not remove) the four bolts securing the front differential housing to the frame. Support it underneath with a transmission jack (preferably). Then you should be able to push the front differential housing towards the driver's side enough to squeeze the bolt past the axle flange.

What most people do is cut the bolt head off or grind a part of the bolt head. Those are your other two options.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I should mention that fixing the Suburban had a higher priority than getting the air compressor plumbed so I don't have my impact gun online and am not buying an electric.

I was considering dropping the diff anyway to change the oil pan gasket before my wife's car started acting up so I'm not sure I want to get that deep into the project with the need to get her car fixed immediately after the parts arrive but good to know about moving the diff.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put the knuckle back on with the nuts just barely on the ball joints and tie rods so I could jam up the rotor and pull the CV shafts off... Then dropped the diff since the driver's side won't come out even with the shafts off. Guess I'm doing the oil pan since it's practically zero more work...