Drive train / Pinion yoke Question please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vddiaz94

Reaction score
Good evening, I recently had a minor accident where my drive shaft came off while going 70 on the freeway. After getting my 1500 back home I took a closer look and my drive shaft came from the pinion yoke due to one of the U-joint needle bearings falling off. I have provided pictures of this. So my questions are how can I find needle bearing replacements I believe they're called? and how to measure them. My next question is do I have to balance or reposition my driveshaft because I can see this being an issue or can I directly install my driveshaft? Okay, my last question is should I buy a new pinion yoke and U-joint because i saw that there was a burr inside of the yoke will this negatively affect my needle-bearing caps?

I'm asking these questions because of this video about U-Joints and want to make sure i don't mess anything up more than it is.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0881.jpeg
    IMG_0881.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd replace the u-joint and pinion yoke. If you have vibrations afterwards, have the driveshaft balanced. Just replacing a u-joint won't cause a need for balancing, but who knows what happened when it fell off.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that pinion yoke looks fine in the picture. It may have cracked, but the same thing happened to me in my 98 Camaro z/28 6 speed on the front yoke. It tore a chunk out of the yoke. I replaced the u joint and drove it that way for 3 months until I found a replacement driveshaft. I didn't drive it easy either.

your u-joint is toast and lost a cap, They are not repairable, replace both front and rears while it's apart.