First U Joint Fix Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiseLifeB

Reaction score
Fixing a 98 Silverado front driveshaft. U-Joints came in today, knocked a good amount of oil dirt & rust off, I’ll hit it with some rust jelly , evapo rust as needed tomorrow & try & get it painted . Had a question regarding a part which I now believe to be a Dust cover, My questions are. Would it be easier to replace the part as a whole or replace the inner lining of the threaded metal piece. & also where to find those parts.

Side Question :
The mechanic took this part off, so if someone knows which end is towards the motor that would be extremely helpful as well.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That's the slip joint to make re-installation possible. It doesn't really slip much if at all when in use since the front differential and transmission are both frame mounted. It doesn't move like a rear end with suspension travel.

If it doesn't slip easily, take it apart and clean it out with a brass brush and brake-cleaner. Then re-grease and re-install.

If it does slip easily, replace the u-joints and re-install it... then pump up the grease zerk until you get some grease coming out of that dust cover. Dont worry too much about replacing that dust cover seal.

CruiseLifeB

Reaction score
That's the slip joint to make re-installation possible. It doesn't really slip much if at all when in use since the front differential and transmission are both frame mounted. It doesn't move like a rear end with suspension travel.

If it doesn't slip easily, take it apart and clean it out with a brass brush and brake-cleaner. Then re-grease and re-install.

If it does slip easily, replace the u-joints and re-install it... then pump up the grease zerk until you get some grease coming out of that dust cover. Dont worry too much about replacing that dust cover seal.
It Doesn’t slip easy at all really in fact, when I do it, dust comes out so I figured my best bet was to break it down And clean that out since I need to do the u joints anyway.
Good to know the dust cover is minor & wont need to find a replacement for anything regarding that.
So that slip joint end goes on the differential & the other side to the transmission?