Double Flaring Stainless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been trying to double flare some new 3/8 stainless steel fuel line and it keeps slipping through the clamp portion of the tool. I went and borrowed another tool and had the same problem. Even got some extra leverage on the nuts and cranked everything down tight. The line still slipped through.

I think I can still return the cheaper flare tool I purchased. Is there a better one that will for sure work but isn't too expensive?

Other option is to maybe use a different material and keep the tool I already have. I don't really want to as I already have a roll of stainless, but am thinking this still might be a more economical option than buying one of the expensive tools right now.

Thoughts?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then, once you get the Stainless tube flared, you'll be back asking why the flares leak no matter how tight you get the nuts.

At that point, someone will direct you to a source of copper "flare gaskets" because the stainless is so hard it doesn't conform well to the inverted flare it's screwed-into.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And then, once you get the Stainless tube flared, you'll be back asking why the flares leak no matter how tight you get the nuts.

At that point, someone will direct you to a source of copper "flare gaskets" because the stainless is so hard it doesn't conform well to the inverted flare it's screwed-into.
You got any actual suggestions then? This is my first time doing fuel lines. Clearly stainless was not the best choice for my uses. But I didn't know that at the time so here we are. Just wanted something with good corrosion resistance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think Shurkey's suggestion was don't use SS. It's one of those things that sounds like a great idea but is a Royal PIA to make it work.

Attempting to bend it can be even more of a rodeo.......

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get that now. But what's a good alternative? Something that's easier to work with and still has good corrosion resistance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

67GMC

Reaction score
The copper nickel is very good and easy to work. I've been using it a lot of the last few weeks on brake lines. I still put steel fuel lines (3/8 and 5/16) on. I will paint them as the cost gets high on the larger diameter lines. I believe if you look up the most of the flaring tools, they will say only for flaring steel, aluminum, copper, copper alloy tubing. Stainless steel must need a heavier duty tool due to hardness.

Last edited:

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look into that nickel - copper line.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have used stainless a few times on old cars, usually a prebent kit. I used a stainless prebent kit for my 89 K1500 also.
It is hard to bend but not too bad I have multiple bend tools, but I don't want to do a complete car again with straight stainless tubing.
Flaring can be more of a problem. I have a Snap On flare tool that will grip the tube but I have to crank so hard on the handle it is hard to get a "straight" double flare. I borrowed a friend's hydraulic flare tool and have not had a single flare leak after using it. I have also used the nickel copper and it is very easy to work with. If I have to bend ,flare and fit I would choose nickel copper then scuff, clean, shoot with an aerosol paint if appearance is important.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score