Door Hinge Pins & Bushings, Cunningham Machine vs. New Greaseable GM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
A little late to the party.... Concerning lube on hinges. Back when I thought I wanted to work in a stealership I worked for a Chevy dealer. The lube man had been there for 20+ years when I started back in 1973. The service manager told me you could always spot the cars he serviced by the oil streak on the rocker panel under the door hinges. The up side was none of the hinges squeaked or wore out. He used engine oil right out of the bulk oil on the hinges.

I guess today I would use a motorcycle chain lube. Many are formulated not to attract dirt and grime. They go on thin so they penetrate then stiffen up so as not to runaway.

Ken

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Front Door Hinge Pin & Bushing Kit TRQ BDA80269 from TRQ? I need to repair mine as my passenger door sags and it seems like a good price for a kit.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
May as well update, the Cunningham Machine bushings with new GM hinge pins and clips in the Suburban are still doing great. Wouldn't hesitate to buy this combo again, and will probably do so at some point for the red truck.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
May as well update, the Cunningham Machine bushings with new GM hinge pins and clips in the Suburban are still doing great. Wouldn't hesitate to buy this combo again, and will probably do so at some point for the red truck.
I know the fronts normally gets worn out, but do you know if anybody makes the middle and barn door bushings/ pin?

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The links in your original post aren't working for me.

PM18S4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the fronts normally gets worn out, but do you know if anybody makes the middle and barn door bushings/ pin?
Dorman and LMC both had barn door hinge pins and bushings.

I picked up a set of barn door pins and bushings from LMC and was not impressed with the bushings.
1) they don't come as a pair.
2) they are the split kind rather than full flange.
The pins are fine, but not C-Clip at the bottom for retention.

I didn't really like the LMC pins and bushings so I rolled the dice and picked up 2 sets of Dorman barn door pins and bushings (the amazon page didn't make it clear if '1 count' meant 1 pin or 2)
The knurling on the pins isn't as pronounced as the LMC pins, but each pin has 2 bushings and a retaining C-Clip.
The packaging was falling apart and the plastic separated from the card stock, one completely and two bad enough the C-clips slipped out.

I also picked up the barn door hinge pin tool as I have read nightmares about getting seized pins out.
It could be better if it were a full 0 rather than a C, but the bolt is grade 8 if the head marking can be trusted.

Attachments

• Dorman_Pins.jpg
    Dorman_Pins.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 8
  • LMC_Pins.jpg
    LMC_Pins.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Hinge Pin Tool.jpg
    Hinge Pin Tool.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 8

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The links in your original post aren't working for me.

Looks like Cunningham Machine changed their website and those URLs don't work any more... I'll go back and edit the original post right now and fix that.

I also replaced the strikers for both front doors with new GM units during this project, but I see Cunningham has those available in stainless now as well. They also make their own stainless hinge pins (with clips) and a bunch of other cool stuff that wasn't available a couple years back. Here's a link to their GMT400 Door/Interior section with everything.

https://cunninghammachine.com/chevy-and-gmc/obs-1988-1998/interior/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Front Door Hinge Pin & Bushing Kit TRQ BDA80269 from TRQ? I need to repair mine as my passenger door sags and it seems like a good price for a kit.
If it gets ya by for a while I guess that’s something. It’s not their own branded product I’m sure. Probably the same as someone else’s. Cunningham is made in the USA.