Door Handle and Door Pin Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great write up. Very informative. Ive done alot of these when I was wreching for a living. One thing I do to take some stress off the pins is I leave the springs out. I have the tool to put them in or out so it easy for me to show my customers what the door feels like with out the spring. It opens and shuts alot easier but the door wont stay open on its own which is fine with me, then the flying dust doesnt get in my truck. Nearly every customer left the spring out as well. Just my idea try it see what you think.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Great write up. Very informative. Ive done alot of these when I was wreching for a living. One thing I do to take some stress off the pins is I leave the springs out. I have the tool to put them in or out so it easy for me to show my customers what the door feels like with out the spring. It opens and shuts alot easier but the door wont stay open on its own which is fine with me, then the flying dust doesnt get in my truck. Nearly every customer left the spring out as well. Just my idea try it see what you think.

Wouldn't have thought of that... I'll have to give that a try when I tackle this. Need to find a 2nd set of hands that isn't my pregnant fiance though! lol

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
just did this today and realized the door strikers i ordered are not the right ones(DORMAN Part # 38420).... How many different types of door striker were used on our trucks?

Also my lower door pins would absolutely not go all the way into the hinge, is this supposed to be ground out?

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just did this today and realized the door strikers i ordered are not the right ones(DORMAN Part # 38420).... How many different types of door striker were used on our trucks?

Also my lower door pins would absolutely not go all the way into the hinge, is this supposed to be ground out?

The dealer sells the door strikers, paid 4 bucks for mine, you get the striker, that big washer, and the bolt that goes in the door frame was even black so it matches fine

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score

I think my upper hole was too small and I had to enlarge it with a pencil grinder. If you have a set of calipers measure the diameter of the hole and the pin at the top and see what the difference is. I think I had to take about .020 off the hole on the hinge.

Don't take too much off. It still obviously needs to be a press fit.

Sent from my DEERE powered Droid

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Everything the same on a 94 except for the door panel removal I suppose?
And I guess I'll have to remove the inner metal panel to be able to remove the latch as well

As far as the pins go, yes.

Ya. The outer panel will have to be taken off.

Sent from my DEERE powered Droid