Does Anyone know what this is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I haven't seen this device before or know what its is used for. I have asked someone Before and I think they said it was something along the lines of an "Anti-theft" device. But I've never seen anything like it considering it looks like it has a slot for a chip, and seems to not do anything or have any other apparent function than to be an ominous black box underneath my dash. Also ive tried looking for a name, numbers or any marking on it but I couldn't see anything. It would be very helpful if i could find any information about this device at all

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Any wires going to it? I would say trailer brake controller but it doesn't look right.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It looks like there is a little drawer or panel under the slot... what's actually there?

Maybe unscrew it from the dash and see if there is a label facing the bottom of the dash?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's old school antitheft, you'd have a small dongle on your keychain that would plug in. Seems it's been disabled/bypassed. ;)

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Richard is correct. It used a triangle shaped "chip" that slides into your mystery box. Without the chip it won't start.