Do mowers count?? Lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Speaking of Sears, my dad bought this old Sears GT/18 Six Speed with an Onan B48M a while back to flip it (needed some engine work), originally came with ag duals, but he wanted to keep them:
You must be registered for see images attach

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season coming.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my Craftsman tools, used to be, back in the day when one of my junior Techs broke one (God knows how?) I send him to a Sears Canada store, and they would replace it no questions asked. The grass (that is not my department) (old J Wayne movie) I have the wife cutting it. Do remember working on my neighbors old Sears Mower he brought up from Pittsburg. I called it the Red Maintenance Devil. Good Times.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've become a lawnmower mechanic by necessity. I currently have a John Deere L130 that I picked up ten years ago for $500. It was ragged, but ran good. I rebuilt the Tuff Torq K46 hydrostatic drive about two years after I bought it, and it was a pretty simple task. The deck has been reworked several times, and now it sports 2x1/8" armor all across the front. If I hit anything solid, the deck doesn't bend, the mower stops. I cut the $25 mail-order-only JD tie rods and welded bolts on to hold $8 replaceable tie rod ends that are in stock at the local ACE. Best mower ever.

Then my neighbor bought a new mower and gave me her old Yard Machines mower. It's cheap crap compared to the John Deere, but it'll fire up in 20* weather and carry a load of firewood from the racks to the back porch. I have a yard trailer I made from the inner liner of an old freezer, a rebar axle, and a pair of Harbor Freight yard wheels that can hold a day's worth of firewood. It mows great until it throws the belt, which is a little too often to be fun.

It's a strange hobby, but working in foster care, dealing with abused kids, crazy people in general, it's cathartic to do something simple like fixing something mechanical.
My wife and I were therapeutic foster parents for eight years, specializing in children with behavioral problems. Being a somewhat successful person, and driven to accomplish things, it was really eye-opening dealing with parents who couldn't handle their business. It helped me realize how broken this world is, and that blaming others for their problems doesn't do anything to solve it. Take your respite days, you need them more than you realize. Thanks for making our community a better place!

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throw some pics up! That's definitely a lucky find. Anytime I find an old mower, I have to fix a dozen things. But that's part of the fun. Lol
I will have to get some later today. He wants to paint them and put stacks on them and the little metal seats to make them look more like a tractor.

DavidAlan

Reaction score
I think of this ,this way, if you can fix a lawn mower, you can fix anything ,I love old snow blowers, I enjoy fixing them.
My Lawn Tractor is a John Deere ,with mower and snow blower attachments, I find it funny you call 70's lawn mowers old, I worked on mowers older than most who write in this blog, Sears and if can remember Montgomery wards mowers, and don't forget Toro, they created first practical mower back in 1928 ,shall we go on?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have a few lawnmowers... i dont know all the years and one has been bastardized and needs an engine rebuilt.... case 108, gee 1974? Hood raised and a 13.5 Briggs VTwin commercial was installed... sounds like a Harley. Blew a rod but got me home hauling a load of wood.... ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I need to rebuild the engine I got lucky as it didnt throw the rod through the block. It would be funny if it simply came apart, it's been parked for 3 years, I abused the **** out of it hauling firewood with its calcium filled tires with chains. I have the deck and the snowblower which I rebuilt.

My lawnmower is a 1994 hydrostatic yardman, built in Kitchener Ontario Canada. Iv rebuilt the deck and ****** around with all the hangers so many times.... but I got it tuned up nicely last year and it's been perfect this year... new heavy duty USA made blades, new spindles. Never touched the engine besides oil changes and to blow out the air filter, 13HP Briggs. The ****** hood is plastic and completely ******. But I bought a new power sports deep cycle battery for it and love using this mower.

I just bought a Craftsman, its hunter green. I cant remember all the details except it has an 18Hp Kohler engine that purrs like a kitten, its been freshly gone over and will shut off if your ass gets off the seat. I bought this for my kids so they can safely help me cut the grass and cut the job in half. I dont have this lawnmower in my possession yet but I just need to drive it over from the neighbors. I think it has a 52" deck, theres 3 blades and the hood is steel! Woohoo. LOL

I have a Gem here.... 1983 John Deere 318. It needs new rubber, I want AG tires but they do still hold air. It needs a power steering line repaired which I will get rebuilt. Theres only one thing holding me back.... its my FIL's. He has given it to me but he likes to take things back. He wouldn't let me pay for it so I am very hesitant to put the money into it that it deserves. It has a 1994 24HP Onan. Purrs like a kitten. I want to get a loader, tiller, & snow blower. that's some serious coin there..... $3000 just for the bucket and everything to operate it.... I'm in Canada and these attachments can be easily found but no one wants to sell so they are expensive. I have it buried in my shop so no one can move it. :)

Cheers!

Al

Last edited:

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think of this ,this way, if you can fix a lawn mower, you can fix anything ,I love old snow blowers, I enjoy fixing them.
My Lawn Tractor is a John Deere ,with mower and snow blower attachments, I find it funny you call 70's lawn mowers old, I worked on mowers older than most who write in this blog, Sears and if can remember Montgomery wards mowers, and don't forget Toro, they created first practical mower back in 1928 ,shall we go on?
Well I say old as a relative to me. Those are the oldest ones I have. Lol
I'll have to look that toro up. My dad had a mower where the engine was in the middle and tou wound it up to start it. Had a fiberglass type body and it looked like a spaceship. Can't for the life think of the name or find a picture of it. It was grey.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've become a lawnmower mechanic by necessity. I currently have a John Deere L130 that I picked up ten years ago for $500. It was ragged, but ran good. I rebuilt the Tuff Torq K46 hydrostatic drive about two years after I bought it, and it was a pretty simple task. The deck has been reworked several times, and now it sports 2x1/8" armor all across the front. If I hit anything solid, the deck doesn't bend, the mower stops. I cut the $25 mail-order-only JD tie rods and welded bolts on to hold $8 replaceable tie rod ends that are in stock at the local ACE. Best mower ever.

Then my neighbor bought a new mower and gave me her old Yard Machines mower. It's cheap crap compared to the John Deere, but it'll fire up in 20* weather and carry a load of firewood from the racks to the back porch. I have a yard trailer I made from the inner liner of an old freezer, a rebar axle, and a pair of Harbor Freight yard wheels that can hold a day's worth of firewood. It mows great until it throws the belt, which is a little too often to be fun.

My wife and I were therapeutic foster parents for eight years, specializing in children with behavioral problems. Being a somewhat successful person, and driven to accomplish things, it was really eye-opening dealing with parents who couldn't handle their business. It helped me realize how broken this world is, and that blaming others for their problems doesn't do anything to solve it. Take your respite days, you need them more than you realize. Thanks for making our community a better place!
No, thank you! TFC is truly a tough job. All of our TFC homes are a godsend.