Do I need a new ecu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TunerPro RT, an ALDL cable, and a Laptop will work just fine cost ~$60 (not including the Laptop) and some research. Or, take it to a shop.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
200$ fora scan tool is not an option.

It might not seem like a good option right now but,,, If you plan on keeping the truck for any length of time, you plan on working on it AND want it to run correctly you will find that a $200.00 scanner is a very good investment in the long run. Or you can put up with drivability issues and fire the parts cannon at it and MAYBE fix the problem.

jefflroberts

Reaction score
What scan tool will read that kind of data from a 92 model? I didn't think you could read that kind of information on anything older than a 96.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As PlayingWithTBI mentioned above, if you have a laptop you can use TunerPro RT which is around $40 for the software I believe. If you'd rather have a handheld tool I'm sure someone here can recommend something that's compatible with OBD1. You can absolutely read all kinds of data from the pre-'96 trucks, though.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
As PlayingWithTBI mentioned above, if you have a laptop you can use TunerPro RT which is around $40 for the software I believe. If you'd rather have a handheld tool I'm sure someone here can recommend something that's compatible with OBD1. You can absolutely read all kinds of data from the pre-'96 trucks, though.

That is correct, I found a used Snap-on MT2500 with cables, adapters and the correct cartridges for all of my trucks, '88-98 for about $225.00 on ebay. it takes a bit of looking but there are good deals to be had.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What scan tool will read that kind of data from a 92 model? I didn't think you could read that kind of information on anything older than a 96.
Common misunderstanding.

OF COURSE you can read the data stream on pre-OBD 2 vehicles--with a couple exceptions that go back to the earliest days of on-board computer control of the engine. The Chevette MIN-T system comes to mind, as well as the Ford MCU for systems so prehistoric that the data stream MIGHT not be available. I don't think I ever connected a scan tool to either system; and both were total turds.

Most anything from 1980 1/2-up can be read by any REAL scan tool. You'll need a vehicle adapter to fit whatever you're working on; and a software system compatible with the vehicles. The hardware can be dedicated scan tool, or a laptop computer as said earlier.

Here's a posting I made years ago regarding OBD-1 scan tools and their capabilities. The original poster had some issues, and another otherwise-helpful guy couldn't grasp the concept of OBD-1 data streams/scan tools.

It gets good at Posts 14 and 15, but feel free to read the back-story which is kinda humorous.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1146067

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

I had always thought that those with OBD1 were relegated to a paper clip and counting a flashing light. It’s nice to know that that isn’t the case.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will probably purchase the tuner pro rt and aldl cable but I’m having trouble finding a cable with a usb end on it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will probably purchase the tuner pro rt and aldl cable but I’m having trouble finding a cable with a usb end on it.
You'll want the 12 pin one.
http://aldlcable.com/aldl.asp

Here's an example of what you can get with TP. This is off my 88 when I was having issues with my ICM.

You must be registered for see images attach