Do I need a new ecu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truck threw code 15. It’s been doing this for a while now. (CTS is reading abnormally low readings). I have replaced it already and still same thing. Truck is constantly stalling out when I’m braking. Is my ecu bad? I should say I’ve done plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter , egr valve, TPS, and new distributor

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which CTS did you replace, the one by the T-Stat housing (feeds ECM) or the one between cylinder #s 1 & 3 (feeds gauge)? Not very often (but not unheard of) the ECM goes out.

Here's a troubleshooting guide that may help.
TBIcodes.pdf

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Truck threw code 15. It’s been doing this for a while now. (CTS is reading abnormally low readings). I have replaced it already and still same thing. Truck is constantly stalling out when I’m braking. Is my ecu bad? I should say I’ve done plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter , egr valve, TPS, and new distributor

What year, engine, transmission?

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the sensor by the thermostat. 92 350 tbi 700r4

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t have a scan tool. I’m just going off of the service engine soon code and the stalling out every time I stop

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diagnosing a failed ECM or a driveability complaint without a scan tool is going to be very labor intensive.

Do yourself a favor, look at the data stream with a REAL scan tool.

Failing that, inspecting the resistance of the coolant sensor by disconnecting the wire harness AT THE COMPUTER and testing the appropriate wires in the harness connector would tell you whether the sensor AND WIRE HARNESS are in usable condition. Be sure to use a 10 Megohm input impedance ohmmeter. Most are these days. Older ones may not be. More than 10 megohm is OK, less is not.

A failed sensor and a failed sensor wire harness look the same to the computer.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After checking the wires with the ohmmeter im only reading 5ohms at the cts