Do I have to dismount the axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schwarzweix

Reaction score
..to get off the brake drum?

I got a big problem on my rear brake drums. They wont get off. I found the small inlet for the adjustment screw and pulled it back. Now the pads should have be enough place to the drum. I tried it with a hammer and much oil and anti rust. but the drum won´t move just a little bit.

do I have to disassemble the axle?
You must be registered for see images attach

Or will it slip of like this:

(I found this on another forum...)

Thank you :)

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You have to take the axle shaft out first

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
NO, this is an older axle, it will slip off. You need to hit it REALLY hard with a big hammer at a 45° angle right on this corner.

May be best to give it a few STRONG licks and rotate it some and do it again. It will jump free when it goes. You are on the right track with the penetrating oil tho, keep spraying it around the lug studs and where the drum meets the axle.

The newer ones that you have to remove the axle are like this

98_k1500

Reaction score
My 98 is the same way, gotta remove the axle. His pics are of an earlier axle. May have been swapped in, or may not be the truck in his sig in question.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
My 98 is the same way, gotta remove the axle. His pics are of an earlier axle. May have been swapped in, or may not be the truck in his sig in question.
Ahh ok sorry guys

98_k1500

Reaction score
Ahh ok sorry guys

You good man lol. BTW, its not advisable to hit anywhere but on that corner to get it to come off. Thats what its there for and its much stronger than the rest of the drum. If you beat on the flat parts of it, you can crack it.

Schwarzweix

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help. So I will try it again today with raw force :)

@98_k1500: This is a picture of my 1998 C3500. In the German papers is that Date 07/01/98 as first date of registratiion. It is possible that the car is a little bit older anyway... VIN:1GCGC33R2W...