Disc brake conversion and other upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys have pics of the process? Im interested in this. Im learning so dont laugh too hard at my questions. How is the rotor attached to the axle when the drum is removed? Just trying to picture to myself how this works. Thanks guys!

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When u remove the drum and assembly shoes, springs and all... All that's left is the Axel shafts... The rotors mentioned above are 94-96 Impala SS rotors the bolt pattern is the same but the lug holes are smaller on the rotors... So ull need 2 drill them a bit 2 open them up a bit 2 get the rotors on...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You guys have pics of the process? Im interested in this. Im learning so dont laugh too hard at my questions. How is the rotor attached to the axle when the drum is removed? Just trying to picture to myself how this works. Thanks guys!

You could use those very thin washer thingies that were originally used to hold the drums on. The ones that disappear after the first brake job.
But just bolting the wheels onto the axles will hold the rotors in place. That's how many newer vehicles hold the rotors on.
In the pix, there are some wheel nuts holding the rotors in place, just to hold 'em during the fabrication process.

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could use those very thin washer thingies that were originally used to hold the drums on. The ones that disappear after the first brake job.
But just bolting the wheels onto the axles will hold the rotors in place. That's how many newer vehicles hold the rotors on.
In the pix, there are some wheel nuts holding the rotors in place, just to hold 'em during the fabrication process.

Very cool. Thanks homie!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used some part's from this place, now I did not use the whole kit, but it is very similar though and I think it's not a bad price http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Rear-Dis...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item518a2332e9 Anyway what I did on my 95 is this, it is 2wd 5 lug, first I did the Hydroboost swap with matching MC, then I added cross drilled and slotted rotor's up front with 1 ton caliper's with stainless braided lines, and in the rear I used kingtek bracket's with cross drilled and slotted Impala SS rotor's that I machined the stud's out for the 14mm truck stud's, and then I used s-10 caliper's in the rear, and no I don't have an e brake. I also used stainless braided lines in the rear from Kingtek as well. Also I went to the salvage yard and got a proportioning valve from an 03 2wd 4 wheel disc Tahoe for $10 and installed it on my 95. My truck will stop on a dime and I have $425 invested in the rear disc swap.

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When u remove the drum and assembly shoes, springs and all... All that's left is the Axel shafts... The rotors mentioned above are 94-96 Impala SS rotors the bolt pattern is the same but the lug holes are smaller on the rotors... So ull need 2 drill them a bit 2 open them up a bit 2 get the rotors on...

I used some part's from this place, now I did not use the whole kit, but it is very similar though and I think it's not a bad price http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Rear-Dis...uck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item518a2332e9 Anyway what I did on my 95 is this, it is 2wd 5 lug, first I did the Hydroboost swap with matching MC, then I added cross drilled and slotted rotor's up front with 1 ton caliper's with stainless braided lines, and in the rear I used kingtek bracket's with cross drilled and slotted Impala SS rotor's that I machined the stud's out for the 14mm truck stud's, and then I used s-10 caliper's in the rear, and no I don't have an e brake. I also used stainless braided lines in the rear from Kingtek as well. Also I went to the salvage yard and got a proportioning valve from an 03 2wd 4 wheel disc Tahoe for $10 and installed it on my 95. My truck will stop on a dime and I have $425 invested in the rear disc swap.

Very cool. Thanks for all the info guys!

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Draggin- that looks like a great kit, if all else fails this.would b the way 2 go...

1)So the S10 calipers, are they the front or rears from the S10..?
2) Does this swap require a proportioning valve..? Or is that just an 88-95 thing..?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, they are front s-10 caliper's, I ordered some for an 01 model, and the 88-94 most model's have a seperate prop. valve, where as 95+ model's it is built in the abs unit, I would personally delete the abs and just run disc/disc prop. valve, or else your brake bias will be wrong.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ugh..! Its never simple is it...
Draggin Do u have pix of ur proportion valve setup..? Im looking 2 copy ur setup since i already have my hydroboost and pedal... Im now looking in2 the rest of the parts needed for the rear swap... And wen u say delete the abs do u mean simply pull the fuse or rip the abs squid out from under the hood..? Id hate to bend brake lines for this swap if its not necessary... Kevin and draggin u guys are the pioneers to the rear disc swap movement... So Im all ears...

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i used an 82-92 fbody disc rear prop valve on a friends truck worked just fine with ebay kit. im assuming you can run hydroboost on it without issue as well. Just throwing that out there.