Disc brake conversion and other upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've searched, and I've found plenty of info on 6 bolt stuff and even 8 lug stuff. But for some reason I can't find 5 lug information. I'm sure someone on here has done it.

My rear drums have been giving me problems for awhile. Because my parking brakes don't work, they don't adjust. I've done my best to fix them but as it turns out I need new cables on the back. I got one side to work but that's it. So, last year before I towed my CJ8, I adjusted the brakes because I knew they weren't working out back. Well, apparently I have out of round drums. It's getting pretty bad now and it's quite annoying. So I'm left with 2 options, replace everything for the drums including the parking brake cables or go to disc brakes. I've heard to use Impala SS rotors and calibers. But is there anything else than that I need? I know I'll need caliber brackets. Any ideas where to get those? Will those brakes even clear 15 inch steel rims? Is there any other disc brake conversions? I figured I'd use an early style GMT800 master cylinder.

I'm also gonna change the front brakes, I believe I have a caliper going bad. So I figure I might as well use calipers for a 1 ton. Anything else I should know about? I'm not using slotted or especially drilled rotors.

I'm tired of having my truck shake like crazy when using the brakes and the stopping distance is much worse than it used to be. I wanted to get a Yank converter but properly working brakes are much more important.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
This is cool, i was gonna do the impala rotors with, i think its the s10 caliper and brakets... but this seems so much easier...

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I had no idea a complete kit like that could be so cheap.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
youd have to change the proportion valve not the master cylinder

a bigger master should be used, disk brake calipers use a higher volume of fluid than a set of wheel cylinders, usually a stock master will work but the petal throw will be much further and you will tend to over work the front brakes, that is why most offroaders who go rear disk also swap to a early 90's 4 wheel disk c3500hd master that was designed with a bigger bore for 4 wheel disk.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
Here what I did to add disk to the rear of my 90 and 91

This is all you need

rotors
1995 Impala SS rear rotors (Edit: the holes for the studs will need machined to 5/8")
calipers
$49.95 each Summit racing part #SUM-DSEP-55017R #SUM-DSEP-55017L

Speedway calipers with e-brake NEW not rebuilt and no core charge
$99.99 each loaded Speedway motors part #910-31046 1 left, 1 right

Caliper brackets
$9.99 each Speedway motors part #916-41009 2 needed

Brake line
$49.99 pair Speedway motors part #617-8564 1 needed (come as a pair)

Spacer for E-brake cable will fab up when needed

You must be registered for see images attach