Disable automatic lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my '88 K1500 Silverado, if I the truck is running when you close the door it locks automatically. Usually if I have to step out of the truck while its running I remember to leave a window down or not close the door. However, sometimes I forget and end up locked out. Not such a big deal when I'm at home where I've got a spare set of keys, but when I'm far from home it sucks.

Is there a way to disable that automatic locking function?

In newer vehicles the doors only lock automatically when you put it in gear. Is the automatic lock function working correctly in my truck?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
In my '88 K1500 Silverado, if I the truck is running when you close the door it locks automatically. Usually if I have to step out of the truck while its running I remember to leave a window down or not close the door. However, sometimes I forget and end up locked out. Not such a big deal when I'm at home where I've got a spare set of keys, but when I'm far from home it sucks.

Is there a way to disable that automatic locking function?

In newer vehicles the doors only lock automatically when you put it in gear. Is the automatic lock function working correctly in my truck?
WOW I didn't know that was even an option on the 400s. First things we had with this were the '06 Denali and the '04 Chrysler Pacifica. On both, there's a procedure for resetting or changing it in the owners manual.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a remote start/lock installed ? It might have programming in that menu you can change.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
WOW I didn't know that was even an option on the 400s. First things we had with this were the '06 Denali and the '04 Chrysler Pacifica. On both, there's a procedure for resetting or changing it in the owners manual.
It absolutely is an aftermarket remote start/alarm option, auto-lock NEVER existed in the GMT400 lineup from the factory - not even in the 99-2000 Escalade/Yukon Denali BCM programming, and ESPECIALLY not way back in the 88-94 trucks lol - you couldn't even get keyless entry on those.

OP - best to look around the steering column for any boxes with lots of wires coming out of it, as there shouldn't be any in a factory truck - identify this unit and you should be able to look up manuals for it online. It may be a simple fix, or it could be the module has to be reprogrammed by a dealer... The latter being more common on newer systems. Depending on how it's wired in, you may be able to get away with fully disconnecting it if you don't use it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Brandon beat me to it. This is 100% an aftermarket feature going to be related to an alarm install. This type of functionality didn't hit the scene from GM on fullsize trucks until GMT800's.

It's a little weird that they lock when the doors shut, though. GMT400 latches are "dumb" meaning there's no electronics in them. They don't "know" and can't signal any device that they are latched. The usual auto-lock function of most aftermarket alarms (and later trucks with the feature OEM) is to lock when you put the truck in gear, unlock when it's back in park.

Richard

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights and help. I really appreciate this community.

Good to know that it wasn't a factory option. I thought it was a little early for that.

I didn't get any remotes with the truck. I'll look around for a box to figure out what is doing this. I've been under the dash quite a bit and never noticed something like that, but its got to be there. There is no alarm siren on the truck anywhere, but it could be hooked up to the horn I suppose.

I agree that its weird that it locks when its running and not just when it gets put into gear. Could be that when the steering column was replaced by the second owner (I'm the 3rd) something got mixed up.

Maybe I'll get lucky and I can just order some remotes and be able to use what's in there.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it's running most likely with ignition key in run position.
Try get in, turn key to run position ( don't hit crank/ start ) window down, get out ,shut door, doors lock? If not then something tied into " eng operating signal ".
Is your truck optioned with " keyless entry " ?