Dirty tbi intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
91 350

Is this common buildup for a 100k plus engine? Got 270k on body and assuming intake was off original engine. I got a spray can of seafoam I will spray into pcv valve port tonorrow. Just wondering what I should expect before and after???

Side note, egr was bad when I got truck. Not sure if this is the reason for the excessive soot?

Attachments

• 20210806_141011.jpg
    20210806_141011.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not excessive. That's totally normal. Might as well leave it alone.

You can play "Seafoam" games, but that soot isn't hurting anything, and my experience with Seafoam is that it'll look just about as bad afterwards as is does before. I have very little faith in "Seafoam" when sprayed into a manifold to clean it. Consider that spraying a zillion gallons of gasoline through that manifold doesn't seem to be cleaning it...right?

The real cleaning would happen after you remove the manifold, haul it to a machine shop, and have them "Jet-wash" it. Or D-I-Y with multiple cans of aerosol carb cleaner followed by the self-serve car-wash nozzle. The main focus of cleaning would be the entire EGR passage, and whatever of the fuel/air ports, plenum, and vacuum fittings you can reach.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not excessive. That's totally normal. Might as well leave it alone.

You can play "Seafoam" games, but that soot isn't hurting anything, and my experience with Seafoam is that it'll look just about as bad afterwards as is does before. I have very little faith in "Seafoam" when sprayed into a manifold to clean it. Consider that spraying a zillion gallons of gasoline through that manifold doesn't seem to be cleaning it...right?

The real cleaning would happen after you remove the manifold, haul it to a machine shop, and have them "Jet-wash" it. Or D-I-Y with multiple cans of aerosol carb cleaner followed by the self-serve car-wash nozzle. The main focus of cleaning would be the entire EGR passage, and whatever of the fuel/air ports, plenum, and vacuum fittings you can reach.
Yea I figured the seafoam was high hopes. Figured worth a shot with so many miles on it. Hey maybe I destroy engine and need to LS swap!