DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Def gonna keep tabs on this! If I ever sas my truck it will prob be using a ford high pinion d44 as well

Sent from a padded cell in the secure ward.....trying to avoid the shock therapy...

Reaction score
awesome trading, thats the way to get it done. get some 10 bolt./d44 outers and drill for 14mm studs . dorman 610-332 or equivilant. gotta love a budget build!!

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome trading, thats the way to get it done. get some 10 bolt./d44 outers and drill for 14mm studs . dorman 610-332 or equivilant. gotta love a budget build!!

I do have a GM 10 bolt that I scored for free and may pick up a GM dana 44 for $100 with 4.10 gears, according to randy ring pinion the GM and fords use the same carriers, so thats the price of a carrier in itself.

Got the call that the knuckle, steering arm and leaf spring bushings are in. Plan to pick them up this week along with some balljoints.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress this weekend did not go as planned. Installed the leaf spring bushings but the shackle bushings were a no go, just to big to fit in, so now I am just going to buy new shackles and be done with it. I did get the front x-member all finished up and the spring mounts moved in to 31.5" center to center, also got the rear mounted braced up too. Then I got the carrier and pinion removed along with the upper balljoint adjusters, axle cleaned up and painted.
You must be registered for see images attach

Biggest set back was the balljoints, I picked up some 5 year warrnety ones from CarQuest. Got them pressed into the new knuckle and but they just would not tighten up in the axle, after some searching found the exact same problem here in this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ISCTKBL-w&feature=channel&list=UL

Checked the new lower balljoints compared to the factory ones and you can easily see the difference in height, this causes the upper not to tighten. So this week I will have to go and exchange them for the lifetime warrenty one which are Raybestos brand which seems to be supplied by spicer from what I have found.

On the plus side made $250 off the old Jimmy for a bunch of parts from the cab.

Reaction score
the raybestos ball joints are actually premium spicer units. imho the best factory style currently available.( started at my first parts job in jan '77 as a pup at 18 ) still doin it to this day @54 . a lot of the "quality" supplires are just that. qualtiy, low i mean. youre doin awesome so far. keep it goin on my young bro/fellow enthusiast. timbo.

Reaction score
iirc yes. way better than the generic partsmaster, chinese bs. moog in my opinion has gone south also. i always used moog on my ifs stuff. it did no better than autozone crap.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
iirc yes. way better than the generic partsmaster, chinese bs. moog in my opinion has gone south also. i always used moog on my ifs stuff. it did no better than autozone crap.

moog has been poor quality since the late 90's, i use the trw heavy duty ball joints