DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another simple solution for the steering, just drill out the knucles and run heims or just use hi-steer arms. Also some FSJ jeep D44 fronts had flat top knucles, neither side were milled, but usually can be found cheap.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im goign to find a set of matching ones but now im going to get the t case first. start cleaning the axle up and get the springs from yard. then get the spring hangers and figure out the steering then ill start the final planning. interested in how your goinng to mke the linkage on t case work. i havent figured that out yet. when i do it ill mostlikely get the axle in and all that working and right then swap the t case.

I really like the idea of the cable to shift the tcase and will prob be my route. There is someone interested in buying the tcase and front axle. If I can sell it for what I have into the jimmy I will end up buying a Ford HPd44, just a matter of them showing up to buy it.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
no one asked... maybe im just slow or missed something.. lol What truck is this for? im guessing the '92 RCSB ?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the knuckle situation sorted out today. Partsmike does carry both but only show 1 on the website, same part number but the one with the taper going up has a 'T' on the end of it.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the thing is that id liek to keep the stock floor shifter location. i like how it looks. ill have to figure that one out when i get the cases swaped. having trouble finding a set of knuckles close to me. trading the bumper tomorrow for axle so ill start cleaning that up slowly but im about to start taking the body lift off and my trans out to rebuild it at work so all my progress will be slowww

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
the thing is that id liek to keep the stock floor shifter location. i like how it looks. ill have to figure that one out when i get the cases swaped. having trouble finding a set of knuckles close to me. trading the bumper tomorrow for axle so ill start cleaning that up slowly but im about to start taking the body lift off and my trans out to rebuild it at work so all my progress will be slowww
73-76 chevy dana 44 knuckles are what you seek, i know my dad had gotten 72 blazer parts out there in richmond while visiting my aunt years ago, i think the place was called woodfin or something like that, perhaps they have the knuckles there

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hvent been to that yard in a while. need to check the one by my work then ill go there. wfo concepts has passenger knuckles for 210 machied and with the taper up or down. found a knuckle on pirate but then id have 2 diff tapers so trying to figure what ill do. guy i got axle from today just usd the old style shifter location for the t case lol wish i got pics it was a sweet burb

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it feels like I got something done this weekend. Ended up selling the transfer case and front axle from the Jimmy friday night for $400 (what I had into the Jimmy). Bought a leaf spring ford D44 HP on Saturday for $150, I got the axle tore apart and shock mounts cut off of it. Got the leaf spring and shackle bushings pressed out and the front crossmember/hangers and mocked up.

New front axle
You must be registered for see images attach

Crossmember and hangers in place, ingore the welds as first time welding and it will be going to a pro for final welding. Spring hangers are 32" center to center should I move each in 1/4" to get the 31.5" width? It is a 3x3 1/4" wall square tubing. From the bottom of frame to the center of the eyelet hole is 3 1/4". Given most say around 4" lift from the 52" springs with overloads removed I should be good around 7-8" lift. Please post any concerns on how x-member is built. I still plan to plate the outsides of it to go up to where bumper brackets are bolted on and get a tow point on it.

Parts pile, total investment so far is $150. Got all hangers, springs, front and rear GM 10 bolt housings, spare 350 tbi motor and 700R4 trans. Still need to do up the rear spring hangers, like outalne94z71 said the 4wd rear shackle hangers are to long, just plan on plating the sides. Hopefully the knuckle, steering arm and spring bushings will show up this week to get a start on building the axle.