Dies in gear when throttle applied

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I also ran through the EGR code 32 diagnostics chart. I landed on Step 6 - no vacuum drop.

Seems odd, I redid the intake gaskets (complete with extreme cleaning) 4 years ago (2019), and <5,000kms since. I highly doubt the EGR passages in the intake manifold being blocked again.

So, what, the spring in the EGR Valve is bad? Not sure what to think of this all...

I replaced the valve at the same time in 2019 with a new Delphi one, part #: EG10099.

@someotherguy - any clues?
Yep. Try an EGR block-off plate as a test, like I mentioned back in reply #40. :)

Richard

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Try an EGR block-off plate as a test, like I mentioned back in reply #40. :)

Richard
Gotcha. I'll give that a shot once I get this pig road worthy and fully mobile.

I did verify that there are no vacuum leaks in the process, so not a full waste of my time ;)

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha. I'll give that a shot once I get this pig road worthy and fully mobile.

I did verify that there is no vacuum leaks in the process so not a full waste of my time ;)
It may not provide any useful information other than if the symptoms do NOT change, you can take your attention away from the EGR valve at that point. Narrowing down the suspects is always good.

Richard

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ran thru the Code 15 diagnostics chart today.

Skipped step 1 as the new sensor passes that test. I landed on Step 3 - No = Open circuit (CKT) 410 or faulty connection (pin C10 for CKT 410) at ECM.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Nice to narrow the problem down with more confidence. I have yet to dig any further, aka, pull the ECM and conduct further testing there, and between there & the firewall ECM grommet.

I retested the voltage at the CTS harness plug, with it being unplugged from sensor & truck KOEO. Its now reading 3.05V, so approx 0.7V less than previously. It was quite a bit warmer today so it makes sense in that regard.

I got the rest of the engine bay buttoned up, relay cover grounds cleaned, and coolant & oil topped off.

I'll take this thing for a test run & see how it performs. It ain't perfect, but for now, I just need it to drive to our summer camping spot, not too far away.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Data stream is a wonderful thing. I believe it should be mandated that the driver can call up the data stream on the center console without any special tools or paywall. My Holley Sniper shows datastream on the handheld, and already I've been able to diagnose two failures just my looking at it.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When did Code 15 come back after changing the sensor? I thought the new sensor was reading correctly
It was. I installed & plugged the new one in, turned key on, engine off. Code 15 gone. Started truck, idled in park, coolant warmed from 15*C up to 70*C. Shut truck off, still no code.

I then double checked for codes by grounding ALDL pins A & B (paperclip), that's when I noticed code 15 back.

I disconnected the battery that night. (Should clear codes). Reconnected the next day. Key on, engine off. Still code 15. I then proceeded with code 15 diagnostics chart. That's where I am at.

New sensor is still reading correct as far as I know. I grabbed more gas so I can run truck in idle for longer, all the way up to operating temp. I'll try do this today.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the CTS issue there is basically three things that could be your problem. #1 Wiring starting to go bad, #2 Green Death at the ECM Connector, #3 The ECM itself.

A wiring issue I think is most likely since it worked for a while with the new CTS, possibly from you mucking about with the wires.

As for the EGR, do what the Service Manual tells you to do. Check if the passage is plugged, mine was.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are welcome.

I first came here for a litte guidance and opinions from thoose that Live and breathe GMT400 trucks. :)

What I discovered was an amazing forum, full of friendly helpful and knowledgeable people.

Helping out when I can with what I know is MY way of contributing to the Forum.