97 stumbles when cruising

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I had this almost exact thing happening to my Yukon. Do you still have the stock plastic distributor? I replaced mine with a Summit Racing one and the stumble at cruising is gone.
The gear on the original one was sharp and pointy like a knife edge, not square like new. I went under the hood to wiggle the spark plug wires at the distributor cap and the whole thing lifted up. One of the screw bosses on the plastic distributor was broken and cap was only holding on with one screw.

Vortec Distributors SUM-850098​

As far as I know the distributor is stock but mine is aluminum with a plastic cap. Had the distributor out last year for a misfire problem and thought it was the gear. It looked like new still. Oil has always looked good so I don't think it's tore up the gear in that time

paule1192

Reaction score

I can almost promise you this is your issue, I spent months chasing this issue down and no one ever talks about this unless you look specifically at the transmission. The valve in this wears the edge of the valve body down until fluid can get past it and then it can't lock up at cruising speeds. You have to slowly ream it out with a special bit and a rachet, but if you put this in you will be able to lock up again. Make sure you clean the metal shavings out with some transmission fluid before installing the sleeve.

I also did these upgrades to the valve body when I was in there:
I also replaced all the solenoids while I was down there.

I had never touched a transmission/valve body before and this was pretty easy and I have had zero issues, just be meticulous and don't forget the O-ring on the accumulator valve or you get to take it all back apart ;) .

P.S. My transmission had been rebuilt about 50k before this too so don't let that sway you.

Reaction score

I can almost promise you this is your issue, I spent months chasing this issue down and no one ever talks about this unless you look specifically at the transmission. The valve in this wears the edge of the valve body down until fluid can get past it and then it can't lock up at cruising speeds. You have to slowly ream it out with a special bit and a rachet, but if you put this in you will be able to lock up again. Make sure you clean the metal shavings out with some transmission fluid before installing the sleeve.

I also did these upgrades to the valve body when I was in there:
I also replaced all the solenoids while I was down there.

I had never touched a transmission/valve body before and this was pretty easy and I have had zero issues, just be meticulous and don't forget the O-ring on the accumulator valve or you get to take it all back apart ;) .

P.S. My transmission had been rebuilt about 50k before this too so don't let that sway you.
I ordered a scanner that will tell me if the torque converter is locking up or not. If it isn't this is definitely something I'll look at

Reaction score
Been a while but have an update. After getting the new scan tool the Tahoe has been running great making it hard to track down problems. That is until today. This afternoon it started to run extremely rough and threw a p1345 code. Is there a way to test the cam and crank position sensors? They are both only a few years old but I'd like to check them. The Tahoe has 208k on it and what I've read said if not the sensors then it could be distributor or timing chain. Anyone have any advice for ways to test before I pull the distributor to make sure it's in good shape

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the problem comes and goes it is not likely a sensor as they tend to fail and not recover. Distributor gear wear could easily cause the p1345 code as the range is +/- 2 degrees. However, the code and the problem may not be related.

Reaction score
If the problem comes and goes it is not likely a sensor as they tend to fail and not recover. Distributor gear wear could easily cause the p1345 code as the range is +/- 2 degrees. However, the code and the problem may not be related.
It now runs like timing us out but only once it's warm. Runs fine cold. Distributor was out last year and looked like new and according to scan tool is set at 0 like it should be