Did my Transmission tech make a mistake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought that up because that leads me to my next concern. I have my cable end clamp installed to where the TV cable is about as tight as i can make it, it seems. Since I have no tach, is there a speed range I can use as a reference for shift timing from 1-2, 2-3, & 3-4 instead?

My main concern is my 1-2 shift, It seems to be bumping into second gear under 10 mph
Assuming you have a typical stock governor, you should be shifting into 2nd around 10-12 mph, 15 tops, then shifting into 3rd around 20-25ish or so then into 4th around 35-40 and lock up should occur shortly thereafter unless you either hit the brakes or accelerate further. If you have another, perhaps newer GM truck with a 4L60E and dash tach, shift points/timing are largely the same so you can use that other vehicle for reference.

Travis_Culler

Reaction score
Assuming you have a typical stock governor, you should be shifting into 2nd around 10-12 mph, 15 tops, then shifting into 3rd around 20-25ish or so then into 4th around 35-40 and lock up should occur shortly thereafter unless you either hit the brakes or accelerate further. If you have another, perhaps newer GM truck with a 4L60E and dash tach, shift points/timing are largely the same so you can use that other vehicle for reference.
Oh that actually sounds like Im a lot closer than I thought I was. I was expecting to at least reach 15mph before 2nd gear engagement. Awesome Im going to take a drive and confirm but Im fairly certain Im good to go!! Thanks again for your help, Youre the man!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh that actually sounds like Im a lot closer than I thought I was. I was expecting to at least reach 15mph before 2nd gear engagement. Awesome Im going to take a drive and confirm but Im fairly certain Im good to go!! Thanks again for your help, Youre the man!
You're welcome...my shift points are approximate and assume normal acceleration (i.e. no heavy/WOT) as if your throttle angle are much deeper, you'll shift at the governor's max allowable RPM based on how it was set up. In other words, at higher speeds than driving 'normally'. Your line pressures look good so if it's shifting a bit soft compared to what you'd prefer, you're dropping the valve body and drilling out the 1-2, 2-3 feed, 2-3 release and 3-4 feed holes.

Travis_Culler

Reaction score
You're welcome...my shift points are approximate and assume normal acceleration (i.e. no heavy/WOT) as if your throttle angle are much deeper, you'll shift at the governor's max allowable RPM based on how it was set up. In other words, at higher speeds than driving 'normally'. Your line pressures look good so if it's shifting a bit soft compared to what you'd prefer, you're dropping the valve body and drilling out the 1-2, 2-3 feed, 2-3 release and 3-4 feed holes.
Do you mention this modification in any of your 700r4 videos? I watched the tear down video but dont remember whether or not this has been mentioned. I watched it a couple weeks ago so my memory is foggy

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mention this modification in any of your 700r4 videos? I watched the tear down video but dont remember whether or not this has been mentioned. I watched it a couple weeks ago so my memory is foggy
Watch my 700R4 HP series, PT1 and PT2 for a detailed breakdown on what mods to do based on application/use case/preferences as well as other factors...Most, if not all the mods/tips I cover can be done without taking the transmission out of the vehicle...You can also check out my rebuild series on the 700R4 to see the step by step procedures on how to drill the plate plus other mods (PT7, specifically). The tear down vid doesn't get into mods as I wanted to focus on what you should be looking for and how during a tear down and inspection of those units...

Thank you for the views, Travis. Post here if you have any questions after watching those other suggested vids.