Dexron IID ATF in 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am sorry if this was asked before but I think my case is slightly different,

My 1994 Chevy burban Silverado K1500 that had an engine swap from gas to diesel in now equipped with 6.5TD and a 4L80E tran,
the oil in the tran desperately need replacing but here in Algeria I can only get Dexron IID type,
the vehicle (with 6.5TD) is now considered high mileage and to be fair she has been and still is being used and abused,
my question is can I safely use IID type fluid?
I have read in other sources that tractor hydraulic fluid or even synthetic gas engine oil can be used in such high mileage vehicles?

would you please advise as the safest option?

Many thanks

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any Allison TES-389 approved ATF will work in place of Dexron III, and you may have better luck finding them in Algeria given their use in HD trucks and equipment versus just passenger cars. Here's a link to a list of approved fluids which will work.

As to your question Dexron IID should be ok for use and would be better than tractor fluid or engine oil, but not ideal. If you have no other alternative, I would say to use it.

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After lengthy search I found some Dexron IIIG,
After flushing out oil through radiator inlet hose I took out about 3.7Quarts yet I put in 4.5 Quarts and still
she is not yet satisfied???
either I was running before oil change or the old oil increased in volume somehow?

any thoughts please?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The simplest explanation is that you had less fluid in the transmission than you thought, or are overfilling it. Not really any other explanation if it isn't leaking.

Last edited: