Detroit Diesel Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buchenrad

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 1993 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB with the 350 and Auto (did the 93s get the 4L60 or 4L60E?) and the engine just crapped out. Its been burning a quart of oil every 800ish miles and then yesterday the head gasket gave way so I decided its time to remove that engine and put something else in. Of course I could put another 350 in it, but I also have considered putting a 6.2 or 6.5 detroit in instead to get better fuel economy. I am well enough aware of the issues that the detroits have and I am willing to put up with them as long as the install process is simple enough; which is why I came here. If I was to go from a 350 to a 6.2 or 6.5 with an auto trans, how much will have to be changed or custom made in order to make the swap? Things like the engine to transmission bolt pattern, torque converter attachment, motor mounts, cooling system, fuel system, alternator and other peripheral mounts, transmission controls (if any), and the like?

Also I have heard about the remanufactured military surplus 6.2s and 6.5s. They seem like a pretty good deal. Does anyone have any experience putting one of these in a GMT400? I know they are 24 volt but are there any other differences between them and the GM factory units?

Also would a 6.5 turbo have too much torque for a factory 4L60/4L60E?

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a 6.5 owner I would recommend against it. For the cost hat you are going to spend converting it you can but a lot of gas. If you are stubborn enough to do this then do a 6.2 non turbo. This should net you 20 mpg and the slowest accelerating vehicle in your state. The 60 will not hold up to a 6.5 but it should hold up to a NA 6.2. You will need an aftermarket tranny controller though. You will also want a lower stall diesel converter. The rest is bolt in. The military units have nothing to do with 12v vs 24v the engine is the same. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate to drop in a Vortec 350 with a vortec intake and a carb to tbi adapter plate and call it a day. Another option that is a bit more of a headache but worth it in my opinion would be a 5.3 LS swap, you would gain power and mileage.

Buchenrad

Reaction score
So what I am really looking for is to get my truck running again. I guess the main reason that I like the military unit is that I have heard you can get one for under $1000 and its a remanufactured engine. I really just want to get my truck running again for as little money as possible while still having something that will last. The transmission was rebuilt 40k ago and everything else seems to be in working order so I expect that if I get a good engine in it that it will last a good while longer. Im not concerned with having a ton of speed as long as it will still pull okay.

So what would yall say is the cheapest way to get an engine in my truck that will last a while? Im pretty sure I wont do the work myself just because I dont have the tools, the space, and the confidence to try it myself. I just need factory level hauling ability and a cheap running engine. I figured the military diesel might do that (and it still might; especially since its more or less a contained unit that doesnt require much interaction with other vehicle components and I should be able to get it relatively cheap) but I would rather not pay a shop a lot of money to convert the vehicle over for a different engine unless the engine is cheap enough to justify it.

I would like to shoot for $1500 as my budget and if I cant get it fixed good for less than $2000 I will probably just get rid of the truck as is.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the time you have a shop do a diesel conversion you will be way over budget. All the little things are gonna add up including alot more labor. I think if you do some shopping around at local shops somebody can get you a reman 350 installed for under 2,000.

As a early 6.5 owner I can tell you there is no upside having one. When mine quits a sbc is going in.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had an old dually with a 6.2 in it. I wouldn't wish that gutless wonder on anybody. But, to each their own.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Your truck has a 60e (first year). I can garuntee you a 350 is the better choice for many reasons. For the small amount of mileage ull gain it's not worth it. Of you're set in a diesel 12v swap is the best option. But that means no 60e and no 2k budget. Also there is no such thing as a 24 volt engine haha.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 1993 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB with the 350 and Auto (did the 93s get the 4L60 or 4L60E?) and the engine just crapped out. Its been burning a quart of oil every 800ish miles and then yesterday the head gasket gave way so I decided its time to remove that engine and put something else in. Of course I could put another 350 in it, but I also have considered putting a 6.2 or 6.5 detroit in instead to get better fuel economy. I am well enough aware of the issues that the detroits have and I am willing to put up with them as long as the install process is simple enough; which is why I came here. If I was to go from a 350 to a 6.2 or 6.5 with an auto trans, how much will have to be changed or custom made in order to make the swap? Things like the engine to transmission bolt pattern, torque converter attachment, motor mounts, cooling system, fuel system, alternator and other peripheral mounts, transmission controls (if any), and the like?

Also I have heard about the remanufactured military surplus 6.2s and 6.5s. They seem like a pretty good deal. Does anyone have any experience putting one of these in a GMT400? I know they are 24 volt but are there any other differences between them and the GM factory units?

Also would a 6.5 turbo have too much torque for a factory 4L60/4L60E?

All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Also I wouldn't be looking at a diesel for fuel economy. Maybe prices are different in other places but around here I pay 20€ up to $1.00 a gallon more for diesel. Plus the fact that these old IP'S need a lubricant additive for this low sulphur fuel. I'D have to get 30mpg to save any money.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Buchenrad

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies. I have been out hunting this week so between that and classes Ive been too busy to do much else, but I think I have decided to just sell as is. I dont really want to deal with it. Do yall know what I could get for a 93 K1500 ECSB with a rebuilt transmission 40k ago and nothing else wrong except needing an engine?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies. I have been out hunting this week so between that and classes Ive been too busy to do much else, but I think I have decided to just sell as is. I dont really want to deal with it. Do yall know what I could get for a 93 K1500 ECSB with a rebuilt transmission 40k ago and nothing else wrong except needing an engine?

Really depends on the area. Look at kijiji or Craigslist for similar deals to get an idea. Around here, $500 would be what I'd expect.

Sent from somewhere between here and there