Vortec 350 swapped into my ‘93, some technical questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Finally got my engine swapped in. After I got it in and started rotating the engine to get valve lash, I noticed I have a few valve seals that are unseated. Oh well, when I get the truck inspected I am gonna have them put new seals in. I don’t feel like messing with it at this point.

Also, waiting on my TBI from SPR still. Ordered it September 17th, and it’s still not here. Evidently it had gotten lost or something, and he said he got it back and shipped it back out this past week. I still gotta get my new fuel pump in. I used a carb intake, no emissions texting where I am, and I had to modify the throttle linkage to work. Any recommendations on aftermarket throttle linkage?

Attachments

• 72142871037__8A0F8F15-E434-4F0F-A222-49F2790C41BC.jpeg
    72142871037__8A0F8F15-E434-4F0F-A222-49F2790C41BC.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 7

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock replacement cable, Edelbrock bracket is what I have on the 87 G20.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Stock replacement cable, Edelbrock bracket is what I have on the 87 G20.

You must be registered for see images attach
Good deal, I may go that route. Do you have a part number by any chance?

Watched some videos on timing the engine as well. Hopefully it’s not a colossal pain to time. Kinda a crash course for me. I got a timing light. Should I unplug the advance to set timing?

Reaction score
I used this. Make sure and get your TV cable set right!
Fortunately I have a 4l60e, and I was able to modify the stock bracket to line up nice and bolt down solid. Crisis averted, I thought I was gonna need new linkage. I have a buddy with a wrecker service sourcing an NV4500 for me though, so it shouldn’t matter too much longer.

I went to fire it up for the first time this weekend, and the fusible link hooked up to the ignition circuit on the battery block burned up. After some tracing, I found that I crushed my ignition wire going to the coil pack in-between the bell housing and block. Felt like a complete moron. :slap:

I ordered new wires and will put them in this weekend, and also loosen the bell housing and pull the crushed wires out. Oh well. It was my job to keep the wires out of the way.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found that I crushed my ignition wire going to the coil pack in-between the bell housing and block. Felt like a complete moron.
Been there, done that even trying to be extra careful not to squish that wire, but it fell back into the danger zone. You're no moron, you're normal.

Reaction score
Been there, done that even trying to be extra careful not to squish that wire, but it fell back into the danger zone. You're no moron, you're normal.
I talked to my uncle, who has done dozens of engine swaps and builds, and he said the same thing, that it’s a common mistake. I will do better next time. Either way, really excited to get this truck back on the road. Still waiting on my TBI from SPR. I got tracking information this past week but it still hasn’t shipped last I checked. Been nearly 3 months since I ordered it. I am being patient, he’s had some health issues from the sounds of things.