Detailing photos/discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hate buffertrails!!!
Not too worried about the paint on the black truck. Every panel has a dent, dig, scratch or scrape, including the roof. Good from afar, far from good. When it does get painted, it's gonna be in a 70 degree gloss black. Close to what the factory black bumpers on GMT400's look like.
I'm a little more freaky on the blue truck's paint. It was just painted last August.
When I worked on corporate jets, the wood shop & paint shop had to work long hours to get the finish on the woodwork to have that mile deep look. 30 coats of acrylic, wet sanded between each coat. Then buffed & polished to a mirror finish. That's were I first learned of '3M Perfect it'. Absolutely amazing stuff. It has the right name.
After 9/11. when the Co. pulled the pin, all head office in Montreal was concerned with keeping was the hard goods. (tools, machinery, etc.) All the 'soft goods' (thread, foam, leather, various chemicals, etc.) were fair game. All that wasn't worth the shipping costs. The painter & I split a case of Perfect It. Even got my dyed in the wool Simoniz Paste Wax using ole' man converted over to it with a follow up of the NXT. And he has 7 collector vehicles, 3 of which are black, that for 40+ years got nothing but the Simoniz.
One of my best friends quite school 4 months before grad, to open a detail shop.
"You're what? Quitting school to go polish cars? You're an idiot!"
10 years later, he had 7 locations! Was doing all the new car prep & used car clean-ups for the dealerships around each location. Then he got into doing the same for the Semi's. That's when he started making the big bucks. He was getting brand new stainless boxes for dump trucks, & paying a kid minimum wage for 2 days + $200.00 in chemicals to polish them. He'd charge $2000.00 for each one & one of his stores would do 5-6 of those a month! Most were sent south to the U.S.
Whenever one of us had no work, or needed a few bucks, we'd go work for him for a week, or a month. That's were I learned to do a lot of this stuff.
When buddy turned 45, he sold all his detail shops in one deal...& RETIRED!!! The *******! He made us take back the 'idiot' comments!

I do have a question for you, though. What do you know about wet sanding? Are you able to do video of some tips & tricks on that?
The new paint on the '97 has been hit with bird poop & burnt it in a couple of spots. Most don't see that, but I do. I've tried everything short of wet sanding to get them out, but that's something that I don't have a lot of (like '0') experience in. I know that I could probably do that, just don't want to screw up a good paint job. My painter says that he laid down a lot of clear on the truck, so it's good to go for wet sanding.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Thats good you want to open your own shop! I created Mile High Detail LLC, but currently I am contracted by other shops to stay busy. I had shoulder surgery and over winter business dies down a lot so I couldn't pay rent for the shop space I was sharing. Hopefully I will have a new location by the end of summer.

I have never tried killerwaxx products, where do you find them?

Compounds are the one product I found the hardest to find what works for me, if I need to use the rotary and wool or foam pads I stick with 3m perfect it rubbing compound, but most of the time my DA can fix the paint with a cutting pad and the meguires correction compound.

My current car is a 2002 esky that is trashed, black of course. The guy doesn't want a paint job so I'm going to town on it. I quoted him $700 score!!! I'll take some before pics tomorrow. If you do a few black cars correctly, word flies and you will get nothing but black cars. Around here I think I'm the only detailer who doesn't leave buffertrails all over black cars!

You have to order Killerwaxx from their website

www.killerwaxxlasvegas.com

I like the stuff, goes on nicely and comes off real easily.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Yea I can probably make a video of wet sanding for you. I always make sure I have 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit 3m sand paper and a flexible sanding block. A Bottle of perfect it rubbing compound.
I use orange peel as a gauge for how much clear is left. If I have to sand a lot I will only use the DA with a foam cutting pad, especially if there is an edge close by. It just takes some practice, but finishing with 3000 makes polishing a breeze after. If I am just sanding a scratch I won't use the block all the time. I would just use 3000 from start to finish if your nervous, you will be suprised how long it takes to burn with 3000. I like to do a quick polish in between sanding to see how far I have gone into the clear.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks!
I think...
Now I have more questions! Lol!
The prob I'm having with this paint is not so much with orange peel. It's this new water-borne paint that's been mandated here. It looks pretty good, but it just doesn't have that pop of the original paint. Which is partially why I bought the truck! It was soooo nice!
The hood was wet-sanded right after it was painted because of how the clear had flattened. Apparently this is an issue with the water paint. The guys did a nice job doing that, but didn't take the polishing far enough to remove the swirls. I got those out.
I see other areas that, when compared to the hood, could benefit from some wet sanding, too. Mainly the roof & the tailgate. I've gone about as far as I can with cut polishes. The depth & shine of the paint on the hood after being wet sanded shows what the rest of the truck could & should look like. My plan is to start with the roof. Nice & smooth, no edges! But my intention is to do the whole truck.
So...from what I understand, soak the paper overnight in a bucket of water with a bit of 'Ivory Soap'.
Position a hose to keep some water slowly running on the area that I'm working?
When I wash & dry a vehicle, I always work in the same directions that the painter laid down the paint. Same for wet sanding? Or cross-hatch on a 45 to the paint's 'direction'? Or in four directions? Up/down, + the 45?
One thing that I have learned about this water-borne paint is that it doesn't like to be messed with around the edges! And the clear seems to be soft. Damn 3/4-wild farm cats have made a hasty exit off of it a few times, & left scratches. And like I said, bird poop marks it. This is what has made me hesitate attempting the sanding. The paint pretty nice as it is, but I know it could be better. Just don't wanna make a mess of it. Might be a month or so before I get to this. Taking deep breaths already!

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Did a 56 Chevy belair today and finished it with 22PLE. Check it out, old single stage paint job but I brought her back to life!
You must be registered for see images attach

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'm going to love this thread.

When I first got my truck, I used to wax it a lot, something I haven't had time to do in a while, but now I'm getting back in the habit. Recently, I picked up a Dewalt DWP849x rotary polisher, along with 3 TCP global foam pads. I have some slight orange peel, as well as some swirls and scratches/blemishes from getting egged and keyed over the past couple years.

I'm planning on using Meguiar's #66 Quick Detailer to hit it first and get rid of the major imperfections, then follow that with their #3 Pro Machine Glaze. What do you think? I'm going to practice on my sister's car first, it's gotten scratched up and neglected over the years, so it's not as critical to get perfect.

I have always liked Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba wax. It just seems to go on much smoother and last longer than anything else I've used.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Ive got a question ive got my truck and my daily 05 crown Vic. Both are black and both have minimum maintenance on the paint over the years. I want to get back into detailing Ny cars again this year what can I do to bring the paint back. I'm looking into like a 10-15ft looking good. I relize they will never be perfect I'm just looking for clean and presentable.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That's a nice canvas to begin with! Nice job!
Dad's got a '56. I prefer '55's. That's just me, though.
Aside from that, that"s a really nice color combo! Bahama Blue/Ermine White? And the car is in great shape! Nicely done! Older resto?
I ask because I get to see a lot of different builds & all the guys that build 'em. From the life-longsavings- in-one-vehicle owners to the guys with literally over 150 finished collector vehicles. And the bigger Hot-Rodsrod shops with 10+ employees too.
Quite a few if the painters of these cars are going to single stage paint for not only historical accuracy on the resto's, but on some of the higher end Mega-buck builds. Those guys like their buffers! Apparently, they can lay down so much paint, that when it's hard, they can polish & polish & polish till there is absolutely no imperfections.
Very much like the old lacquer.
Dad's got a '40 Ford Businessman's coupe with a 55 year old lacquer paint job. I'll have to get some pix. None on the computer.

I'm going to love this thread.

When I first got my truck, I used to wax it a lot, something I haven't had time to do in a while, but now I'm getting back in the habit. Recently, I picked up a Dewalt DWP849x rotary polisher, along with 3 TCP global foam pads. I have some slight orange peel, as well as some swirls and scratches/blemishes from getting egged and keyed over the past couple years.

I'm planning on using Meguiar's #66 Quick Detailer to hit it first and get rid of the major imperfections, then follow that with their #3 Pro Machine Glaze. What do you think? I'm going to practice on my sister's car first, it's gotten scratched up and neglected over the years, so it's not as critical to get perfect.

I have always liked Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba wax. It just seems to go on much smoother and last longer than anything else I've used.

Isn't a quick detailer more for a fast wipe down 5 minutes before the show? Or is this something like a 'trouble shooter'?
I've never used it. (Which is something I may be saying a lot in thus thread!)

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beautiful work! To intentionally steer this another direction... I have some completely neglected aluminum wheels that have just been sitting on the truck for 10+ years. Do you have any suggestions on how to bring them back to life?