Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I really need to seal the floor at all?
Nope - I didn't. I had the builders drop my woodworking stationary equipment in place before they put up the walls so, I shined it on. The main thing with bare concrete is, rust stains are permanent. You may be able to break a battery and use the electrolyte to clean it fairly well.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
The loader I'm looking at would fit onto a 1970 JD 2520 row crop tractor, and would be permanently attached. Unfortunately it won't be as capable as a skid steer, which I'd love to have but can't really justify paying for.

I'm actually fine with the floor as it looks now: plain concrete, with a few random embedded dried leaves for accents. It certainly doesn't need to be fancy. I plan to use (and probably abuse) it, and will keep it clean by sweeping. When I spill oil and other fluids, I'll clean it up as I go.

This may be a dumb question: Do I really need to seal the floor at all?

I'm familiar with the loader and tractor (Former JD equipment sales and Parts Manager here). What I'm suggesting is buying an adapter to be able to use the attachments from a skid steer. The skid steer quicktatch is becoming universal. My 3515H Branson utilizes it on their loader platform, as do most other manufacturers. JD is still one of the few that likes to make it difficult and sell stuff that ONLY works for JD.

https://www.bellprecisiontool.com/product-page/john-deere-145-146-148-158-to-skid-steer-adapter

Yes, seal your floor. And I recommend the densifier, which makes it harder and more durable.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll second this, and when you buy a loader, find something that has a skid-steer type quicktatch system, it will make your life much easier with the availability of attachments for the loader.

In regards to the floor. Do you want something pretty, or do you want something you can use(abuse)? I used Ghostshield and a densifier(pre GS) on my floor and have zero regrets. Shop has been used (and abused) for 7 years now, and I wouldn't go back and do it any differently. Are there some stains on my cement...yes...do I care? No. There are also burnout marks and some paint overspray scattered around.

Museum quality floors look awesome until you drag a metal wheeled floor jack from one end to the other, pull in a vehicle with hot tires and let it sit, drop a hammer or something pointy, etc.

If you're constantly worried about ruining your floor finish, you'll never be comfortable working in your shop.

I've gott a ask, if the product you used lets stains and such through, why bother at all?

You can get a grit for the epoxy, but I'm having trouble envisioning it making much of a difference in slipperiness. That's a concern of mine as well.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I've gott a ask, if the product you used lets stains and such through, why bother at all?

You can get a grit for the epoxy, but I'm having trouble envisioning it making much of a difference in slipperiness. That's a concern of mine as well.

I have stains because I get lazy and don't wipe stuff up right away. The Ghostshield product actually beads up oil (and even brake parts cleaner), but if you let it sit for 24hrs it still is able to penetrate into the cement. I wanted a sealer because it makes washing out the shop much easier. The cement doesn't just absorb the water like sand. The densifier makes it hard and less prone to chipping...cause I drop stuff. Cement is a big investment and I wanted to preserve it for as long as possible.

Even the best epoxy coatings wear over time, its the nature of the beast. Pretty is cool, and if I had a spot for parking only, I'd probably go with racedeck over something like epoxy.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the loader and tractor (Former JD equipment sales and Parts Manager here). What I'm suggesting is buying an adapter to be able to use the attachments from a skid steer. The skid steer quicktatch is becoming universal. My 3515H Branson utilizes it on their loader platform, as do most other manufacturers. JD is still one of the few that likes to make it difficult and sell stuff that ONLY works for JD.

https://www.bellprecisiontool.com/product-page/john-deere-145-146-148-158-to-skid-steer-adapter
Interesting. So basically I find a JD 148 loader and mount this on the front where the bucket would be? That would be pretty handy. A loader + adapter would cost a lot less than a used skid steer. Not as capable, but still a quantum leap above what I have now.
Yes, seal your floor. And I recommend the densifier, which makes it harder and more durable.
Harder and more durable sounds good.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope - I didn't. I had the builders drop my woodworking stationary equipment in place before they put up the walls so, I shined it on. The main thing with bare concrete is, rust stains are permanent. You may be able to break a battery and use the electrolyte to clean it fairly well.
We have a lot more ground water here, and I'm wondering if that's a factor. The slab does have a vapor barrier, fwiw.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Interesting. So basically I find a JD 148 loader and mount this on the front where the bucket would be? That would be pretty handy. A loader + adapter would cost a lot less than a used skid steer. Not as capable, but still a quantum leap above what I have now.

Just opens your world to less expensive buckets, pallet forks, etc.