Death wobble with all new front end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, and I know prices are not an apples-to-apples comparison in different locations for different work - but a dedicated driveshaft shop here in Houston charged me only $300 to take an AAM driveshaft assembly from my work truck (2009 Chevy 3500HD) that had been damaged in a wreck. Rear axle was broken loose from u-bolts, driveshaft came apart at the carrier bearing since the rear pushed back, flopped around attached to the pinion yoke which bent the ears around the u-joint caps, making it impossible to press the joint out to replace. They cut the end off the shaft, welded a new one on, replaced all 3 u-joints, carrier bearing, and balanced the assembly for that price. I couldn't even buy a used one for that amount.

"Driveshaft fell out" :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, and the dipshit standing there in that previous pic was the guy that tagged my truck, was gonna be a head-on but I swerved at the last second. Here's his car -

Richard

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's not like you didn't have any warning signs. The time to save money was before it fell out on the highway. Preventative maintenance goes a long way. Be glad she didn't slap you for endangering not only her life but others on the highway.

I'll never understand people that drive their mess until it's coming apart going down the highway.
I didnt pay too much attention to it because I figured the vibration was from the unbalanced wheels which I couldn't have balanced because there was a major snowstorm here so the tire shop wouldn't take anyone for a week.

I'm actually not sure wether the u joint failure or the wheels were the cause of the driveshaft failure because the u joint strap was loose on one side in the yoke and it had previously been tightened to 30 foot pounds. I knew something was wrong and pulled over immediately when the vibration increased and as I was coming to a stop that's when it fell out. I should clarify the problem with the wheels isnt just that they were unbalanced, on of the wheels was replaced with one from a mitsubishi which had a different center bore size so the tire shop advised that I bore it out which I did but I think it wasn't perfectly circular and with the mag nuts the wheels used I think it caused vibration onto the hub.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt pay too much attention to it because I figured the vibration was from the unbalanced wheels which I couldn't have balanced because there was a major snowstorm here so the tire shop wouldn't take anyone for a week.

I'm actually not sure wether the u joint failure or the wheels were the cause of the driveshaft failure because the u joint strap was loose on one side in the yoke and it had previously been tightened to 30 foot pounds. I knew something was wrong and pulled over immediately when the vibration increased and as I was coming to a stop that's when it fell out. I should clarify the problem with the wheels isnt just that they were unbalanced, on of the wheels was replaced with one from a mitsubishi which had a different center bore size so the tire shop advised that I bore it out which I did but I think it wasn't perfectly circular and with the mag nuts the wheels used I think it caused vibration onto the hub.
I also should mention my rear suspension is very stiff because it has all new high capacity leafs and a full length add a leaf.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2006 Ram had it once. Warped front rotors. My 97 Express van also had it once. The tires were seperating and ballooned. Both were practically uncontrollable when they started wobbling.

And you Texans don't even get to experience the pure joy of having a few lbs. if snow/ice packed in the insides of your wheels like we do.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I watched a Ram 1500 right in front of me lose the front joint and it pole vaulted the truck straight up on it's front bumper end over end forward onto it's roof in 60 mph bumper to bumper morning rush hour traffic. Nobody got hurt but that must have been one hella O'shyt moment for the driver.

Sounds like one expensive day off. Like mentioned earlier, the vehicle was no doubt making warning signs weeks if not months in advance. Yet the driver can still afford to buy cigarettes and support whatever else they've got going on except for the vehicle which gets them around. Whats more mind boggling is while they say they didn't have the money then they usually end up spending more now to either replace the vehicle or for more repairs generated by the part that failed.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, and I know prices are not an apples-to-apples comparison in different locations for different work - but a dedicated driveshaft shop here in Houston charged me only $300 to take an AAM driveshaft assembly from my work truck (2009 Chevy 3500HD) that had been damaged in a wreck. Rear axle was broken loose from u-bolts, driveshaft came apart at the carrier bearing since the rear pushed back, flopped around attached to the pinion yoke which bent the ears around the u-joint caps, making it impossible to press the joint out to replace. They cut the end off the shaft, welded a new one on, replaced all 3 u-joints, carrier bearing, and balanced the assembly for that price. I couldn't even buy a used one for that amount.

"Driveshaft fell out" :D

Oh, and the dipshit standing there in that previous pic was the guy that tagged my truck, was gonna be a head-on but I swerved at the last second. Here's his car -

Richard

Shame that wasn't a Civic or something, good grief. What did dipshit have to say for himself?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Shame that wasn't a Civic or something, good grief. What did dipshit have to say for himself?
He tried to tell the cop I was driving down the middle of the road with my headlights off. :D When I heard that crap come out of his mouth I lost it and started yelling there are 4 cameras (Safety Vision, front, rear, side mount cameras with a DVR, like some cop cars here have) on my truck if he wanted to tell that story again. I saw his dumb ass coming toward me across the center line and there was pretty much nowhere to go; 2 lane road over a short bridge. I waited for the last second to be sure he wasn't going to whip the wheel back, and I swerved so it wouldn't be a head-on. He hit the back corner of my door first, then the wrecker bed, bounced off that and hit the rear tires which broke the u-bolt and pushed the tires into the corner of the bed, blowing them out (that's his headlight bucket attached to the corner of the bed), then he continued on to hit the bridge wall. They fixed my wrecker, but it took a lot of work.

Richard

Wrench

Reaction score
I had a tiny bit of death wobble on my 2000 Yukon denali (obs), and then I had a u joint failure, driveshaft fell out on high way, so i redid the u joints and now the death wobble is much worse, only at highway speeds.

It has all new front suspension and tie rods pitman and idler are good. Also when I replaced the rear yoke I screwed up my pinion preload so that may be it. So I'm thinking maybe it's the rag joint. What do you guys think.

10-1 It's a c.v shaft issue. Take the shaft out pull the boots off and look for broken ****.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has
10-1 It's a c.v shaft issue. Take the shaft out pull the boots off and look for broken ****.
Has new cv shafts, and as I said earlier the wobble went away with new balanced rims. It just has very slight vibration now.

Last edited: