Death Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Death Dually 99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well with the motor still in the truck and using an oil primer was unable to get more than 7lbs of oil pressure. I pulled the engine back out and found out the oil pump used was one you would run in an older 454 and not the one called out for my truck(short pump) as it’s called. Ordered the short pump and compared it didn’t look much different but with it in there and the pan back on using the oil pump primer I had 57 lbs of pressure and oil to all the pushrods and rocket atms so hoping it’s fixed.

Death Dually 99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta get the engine out of my brothers drag car this weekend so I can get my truck back in the shop to put the engine back in my truck. I hope this does the trick

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
**** thats awesome! Frustrating something like that held you up so long, but at least it isn't something plugged. Sounds like there wasn't any damage done to the bearings if you're still getting 57 psi. Keep us posted. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Death Dually 99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have Finally got it straightened out I think lol. I’ve put 350 miles on it and dropped it off at the tuners shop yesterday hopefully I’ll get to pick it up this weekend and really start enjoying driving it.

After replacing the oil pump it broke another rocker stud. So I replaced all 16 with ARP studs. The rockers were galled up so bought a new set of those and forgot stainless steel full roller rockers wouldn’t fit under the valve covers. So had to reorder another set and while I had it apart I put a MSD Street fire distributor in it to replace the stock plastic one. It seems to be running fine now just needs the tune. What a project this has been

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots or hopefully it does. I can't remember, did you go with bigger injectors? It's been too long since this thread started haha.

I would imagine the intake is going to be a limiting factor for upper rpm power. I'll say 420 HP/ 550 ft-lbf at the flywheel.

Edit: Found you went with 36 lb injectors.

Last edited: