Deadbeats 1997 Centurion Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
If I go 4L80E, don't I have to get a new driveshaft built as well? Will my transfer case bolt up, and do I have to change a bunch of wiring?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I go 4L80E, don't I have to get a new driveshaft built as well? Will my transfer case bolt up, and do I have to change a bunch of wiring?
****, I forgot you had 4wd, I'm sure that does complicate things a bit. I've never done the swap, but I want to. I was just throwing in my $.02

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Keep in mind, I can't go to the junk yard and get a driveshaft, they have to be custom made. Price a 79 inch aluminum driveshaft, not much different than a used tranny. I'm gonna talk to the shop that rebuilt mine on my way home today, maybe they will help out with it.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
The shop called me yesterday, even though it is 2 years past the warranty they are going to eat it and fix it since it only has 23k miles on it. The shop said when the solenoid shorted out that it must have done a lot more damage than they thought so they would fix it. Here is what makes me mad, when I talked to him about bringing it in this time, told him the fluid was burnt, he said not to tow it, just drive it that since it was burnt the damage was already done. Why didn't he have this attitude when it was under warranty and the fluid was burnt due to the solenoid shorting out. Either way, they are going to fix it but it seems like the first time they just hoped I would sell it or something. The only difference I see is the first time it was a rust bucket, this time everything was painted and new, very clean.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like if u should find a different shop if u have another problem. Hopefully this time itll be good to go

Reaction score
This thread has been a wealth of information, that's for sure. I'll tell you what, it makes me glad I'm replacing all the wearable items right off the bat... You have the patience of a saint.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Scored me a mint steering wheel a couple days ago off ebay, little bit high but there are nearly impossible to find. I think all I need to do to the truck now is a little exhaust leak, backing plates are popping when I first back up and hit the brakes.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I put this key fob on the other day, I really enjoy how well it works. That was one thing that I didn't like about the truck, having to use the key to unlock the doors all the time. The only drawback to this unit is it remembers the last button you pressed and won't accept that command again until the other one is pressed. So if you need to press lock 3 or 4 times to get the doors to lock, this unit would be useless for you. I took all my doors apart and cleaned and greased the linkages and got them all working good before installing this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QH9C5A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I put the correct ABS module on my truck, stainless braided rubber lines, and used the Tech2 to bleed the abs. Took forever, had a couple brake lines that didn't want to seal. All in all, I still have a little air in, I used the pressurized bleeder that goes on the master cylinder, I really liked it. Brakes are much firmer, peddle just goes does a little further than before, so I still need to bleed. I was literally so dirty I used my hand to push the peddle down to activate the abs bleed, so I think if I set in the seat and push the pedal more firm down for this it will make it all better.