Cyl 2 missfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So still chasing cyl 2 missife

I checked compression and all cylinders have 155-160lbs of compression.
I did plugs, wires, cap and rotor...no change.

The new plugs looks like it has some sort of contamination on it..smelt like gas sorta but was just dirty in general.

Pulled the valve cover just to check things out...this gasket sure does look new for a 97 model. My grandad had the truck for 5 years but I don't think he ever pulled the valve cover.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm thinking it has to be a leaking injector or a leak under the intake. Anything else I should check before I rip into this.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it could be a leaking fuel injector leaking is it even worth running a cleaner or anything to see what happens

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get yourself this little gadget and a fuel pressure gauge and do an injector balance test for all cylinders.
Automotive Fuel Injector Tester, 12V 4 Pulse Modes, Handheld Car Vehicle Fuel Pressure System Diagnostic Scan Testing Tool Gauge, Individual Test Stuck/Leaking/Burnt-out Problem
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I Know this is relatively cheap but with other things building up I'm trying to keep the cost low.

I'm gonna pull the upper intake off maybe I can see if it's leaking from there. I feel like someone has been into this truck before. Mechanic here told me to check the pins on the fuel injectors before going to far.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? WHAT ENGINE?

Vortec small-blocks were infamous for (lower) intake gasket leakage at the cylinder head. GM updated the gasket at least once, maybe more than that.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like OP has a SBC Vortec from that photo.

I've checked for injector pulse by hooking up an LED test light with those wire-piercing probes. You need a wiring diagram to see what wires you need to probe.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Although I think I used those T pins at the back of the big injector connector to backprobe when I did that on mine.