cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
cruise control on my98 k1500 works sometimes then quits while driving will set again sometimes but stubbron any help to repair

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cruise control on my98 k1500 works sometimes then quits while driving will set again sometimes but stubbron any help to repair

A common issue is a failing brake switch located under the dash on the brake pedal assembly. This will cause intermittent cruise control and torque converter lockup.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed cruise on my '68 Charger, awesome; I installed LED taillamps and it went ape***t. Wouldn't disengage, wouldn't re-engage until key off, WTF. The bulbs were the ground for the system, so it couldn't see them to reset; installed a relay and found that the taillamps leaked enough that they kept the relay active after the brake light went off... Esoteric info but if you've installed LEDs where incandescent was there, maybe swap them back to original and see if it clears up. But most likely is simply the brake switch. '94 has a separate switch inside specifically to disengage the cruise before switching on the brake lights.

H2814D

Reaction score
Pull the Cruise Control Circuit Board out of the mechanical part of the cruise control, and check the soldered connections for bad solder connections (cold solder joints, etc). GM Vehicles from that time period had issues with the ABS, windshield wipers, radios, and cruise control circuit boards. All of them developing bad solder joints after a while. The issues typically show up as being "intermittent," like you are experiencing. If you need to know what you are looking for, I have attached some pictures. They are hard to see without magnification.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_9508.jpg
    InkedIMG_9508.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 9
  • InkedIMG_9509.jpg
    InkedIMG_9509.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 9
  • InkedIMG_9511.jpg
    InkedIMG_9511.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 9