92 Silverado 4x4 Cruise Control Signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBSESSIONOBS

Reaction score
Hi want find out where the cruise control signal is for my 92 Silverado so I can use it to create a cruise control indicator signal for my Dakota Digital gauges.

Where do I access the signals to the cruise control on the truck? Any help appreciated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Check the "Engine" section of the forum for the post with the service manual downloads (free) - get the '94 manual and look in the wiring diagrams. Probably be able to capture the signals you're looking for at the connection to the cruise servo under the hood, or along the circuit between the turn signal lever and that module.

Richard

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
In the engine bay, if you're looking at it from the front of the truck it'll be a kind of boxy module above and to the right of the brake booster. There's a cable that runs from it to the throttle body so you'll know what module it is by that.

Some trucks have pin J routed to the ECM according to my wiring diagrams, but mine wasn't even though the diagrams said it would be, so I guess it varies. But I do believe you can simply splice off the wire to a small powered 12v bulb for an indicator. I have mine run to my cluster with a #74-base LED.

OBSESSIONOBS

Reaction score
OK I found the the location but not clear which one is Pin J

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It'll be the pin next to 437. Gray 387 is pin A, you can see the little letters on the corners - the letter I is skipped.

If there's no wire in the connector on that pin, there will be a little rubber plug in it - you can remove that, then install a new pin (find a donor connector from a junkyard truck or something to pull a wire from to make it easy).

OBSESSIONOBS

Reaction score
It'll be the pin next to 437. Gray 387 is pin A, you can see the little letters on the corners - the letter I is skipped.

If there's no wire in the connector on that pin, there will be a little rubber plug in it - you can remove that, then install a new pin (find a donor connector from a junkyard truck or something to pull a wire from to make it easy).
Thanks was confused how it went to K but with skipped I it makes sense.

Will I be able to directly plug in the speedometer signal to my Dakota box? Not sure if it's square wave and how many pulses is has per mile. There is a speedometer signal on the gauge cluster plug is that the correct location to tap the wire or somewhere else?

Sorry for the noob questions but trying to cobble all the info together as appears difference VSS were use for 92-98.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
92++ all use the same VSS signals to the cluster actually, the wire at the cluster is 4000 pulses per mile, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be square wave. I don't know much of anything about the DD gauges as far as how that is to be hooked up tho.

The difference between 92-95 and 96+ is the fact that the VSS buffering was moved from a tiny module under the glove box to the PCM. It's still pretty much the same signal. 88-91 has it all IN the cluster, so be glad you don't have to deal with that haha

OBSESSIONOBS

Reaction score
Don't worry, if it's not this it will be something else I get stuck on :)

Your help has be truly appreciate brother. How did you know that pin went to ground when CC was active?