'97 K1500 Suburban Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Something goes bad on '95-up and you're replacing the whole thing. :) The hazard switch is the one that takes the most abuse.

That hazard switch "button", with the integral metal contacts, is available as a service item. I used one on a 1995 S10 a few years ago (which has the same MF switch as GMT400s, albeit with different color of hazard switch "button").

The particular one I used was red plastic, somewhat translucent.

Google search for "gm hazard switch repair kit" and many will show up. Dorman has its own version too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That hazard switch "button", with the integral metal contacts, is available as a service item. I used one on a 1995 S10 a few years ago (which has the same MF switch as GMT400s, albeit with different color of hazard switch "button").

The particular one I used was red plastic, somewhat translucent.

Google search for "gm hazard switch repair kit" and many will show up. Dorman has its own version too.

You must be registered for see images attach
That's good stuff, it seems back in the day when they broke, we were robbing them off other assemblies in the boneyards. I'd go GM; not sure I'd trust Dorman even on something so simple. I mean they can't even get a TBI breather hose done right..

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Small update...

As of this morning the cruise control is acting up in the same way, but on a bright sunny day without the wipers running. It now will randomly disengage, and sometimes will not set at all.

My suspicion of the multi function switch increases...

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small update...

As of this morning the cruise control is acting up in the same way, but on a bright sunny day without the wipers running. It now will randomly disengage, and sometimes will not set at all.

My suspicion of the multi function switch increases...

Can you get a DVM connected to the appropriate leads from that M-F Switch (in the steering column) and watch for oddities in the switch's resistance? I would guess that switch / circuit should be either closed (~0ohm) or open, so putting a DVM across the leads, to measure the resistance (either while stationary or driving), could be enlightening.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you get a DVM connected to the appropriate leads from that M-F Switch (in the steering column) and watch for oddities in the switch's resistance? I would guess that switch / circuit should be either closed (~0ohm) or open, so putting a DVM across the leads, to measure the resistance (either while stationary or driving), could be enlightening.

I just skimmed through this video...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Unfortunately it looks like the connectors are a pain to get access to without disassembling a ton of stuff, and they're oriented in such a way that getting test leads into them in position appears difficult.

I know this probably won't sit well with the more hardcore diagnostic folks here, but I think my plan at the moment is to go ahead buy an OEM replacement multi function switch and have my mechanic take a look at this next time the 'burb goes in for an oil change. Even if the switch isn't the problem (I'm pretty sure it is...) I wouldn't mind having a new one in the parts pile.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FYI for anyone looking, the part number for the correct GM replacement multi function switch for a well optioned '97 K1500 Suburban is ‎26100985 (ACDelco D826A).

www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9MN90

I'm probably going to pick up a spare brake light switch too just in case, they're cheap. Part number is GM D1565E.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000NW8GG0

I can't find any replacements for the cruise control module... Is that a salvage yard only part at this point? I tried looking up the factory part number on Nemiga but I can't find what category it's listed under. I'm sure I can re-flow the solder on mine if necessary, I'm mainly just curious if there are any new replacements available.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This?
GM 25315088
Discontinued and pricey, but found this.

Thank you! I didn't even think to check and see if there was a label on the part itself.

Interestingly, both of my '97s have a different number printed on that label. They're both 25169208 (also discontinued). I wonder what the difference is? It looks like the exact same unit.

I did find some pictures of a new one, it looks like they came with the cable assembly attached from the factory. Maybe the different part numbers are something to do with the length of the cable for different applications?

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-module-25169208.html

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part on ebay covers your 25169208 part. There were a few different #’s, but all superseded to GM 25315088.