Crate motor help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
Waiting to hear back from some local auto shops, but until I hear from them, what's everyone think about genuine gm crate motors? Is gm really good with there warranties?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The warranty on one of those is valid only when installed by ASE certified shop IIRC.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
For your price range, racingjunk.com might be too expensive but I have gotten engines from private machine shops with quality internals and warentees for less than summit crate engines. Might be worth shopping around over there though...

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
info straight from gm "GM Goodwrench engines installed as direct replacements in a car or light truck application are warrantied for 36 months or 100,000 miles from the time of purchase, whichever comes first. This warranty is the same regardless of who installed the engine"

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
well all the local shops are asking way way way to much for a rebuild and they cant get access to any crate motors, ive decided on buying a cheap parts truck with under 100k miles. because after all the research ive done, a 80,000 mile stock from factory motor is going to out live most crate reman. motors, thanks for all the help! im going to look at a truck with 90,000 miles tomorrow, gonna do compression check, check all the oil and check for signs of blow by and test drive it before i buy it!

K2500 Dave

Reaction score
About a month ago, I replaced my worn motor with a Chevrolet Performance HD L31 from Jegs. It cost me just a hair over 2 Grand, but it's a new motor, and coming from Chevrolet, I know it was done right.

To be honest, I didn't mess with any weights on my flywheel. I bolted the old flywheel right up, and everything was smooth as butter. I'm sure some here will blast me for not doing so, but when you're swapping it out over Easter, and your daily driver has to be running, it's hard to find a shop sometimes.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
So is this a new motor or a remanufactured?? Do they come with a warranty? Thanks for the replies, really helps guys!
Replaced mine with a factory crate motor from these folks, now have about 10,000 on the new motor, runs strong and so far no issues. Also installed a set of Gibson SS headers, MSD dist and super coil and spacer plate under the TBI, pumps out a few more horses... check out this site for a crate motor...

https://chevroletperformanceparts.com/p/12568758-57l-new-87-95-1500-trucks