Cranks but won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Schurkey, is this what you're referring to?

You must be registered for see images attach
In particular, VIEW A, which is achieved by getting the distributor gear teeth engaged properly with the cam gear teeth, when the crank/damper is set to "0" degrees on the timing pointer.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While waiting for FedEx to get their act in gear, I thought I'd install this handy bugger. No more tearing apart the fuel filter fittings to check fuel pressure :).

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not intended to be a permanent installation. You're supposed to remove it when you're done testing.

Apparently the internal O-rings aren't as reliable as a person would prefer.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not intended to be a permanent installation. You're supposed to remove it when you're done testing.

Apparently the internal O-rings aren't as reliable as a person would prefer.

Well that sucks, but as long as it's not leaking when the engine is running, then why bother removing it?

Oh, and the damn thing didn't come with a cap for that valve. I'll have to find one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks, but as long as it's not leaking when the engine is running, then why bother removing it?
Because it might START leaking when the engine is running. If you don't have the hood open and a gauge connected, you'd never know until the paint burnt off the hood.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Oh, and the damn thing didn't come with a cap for that valve. I'll have to find one.
Haven't you burnt up enough stuff already without adding fuel to a fire? lol

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't you burnt up enough stuff already without adding fuel to a fire? lol

That would be funny if it was the first time this has happened.

Same crap happened with my T/A. Speedometer cable found it's way against the driver side header (Hooker Headers :) ) and caught fire. Luckily, I caught it in time and suffered only the speedo cable loss.

Anyway, parts came in late in the day yesterday but I'm busy today.

Stay tuned......

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here we go.

I want to turn the key and see what this does but I'm missing the heat shields for the spark wires. 4 came in, 4 did not.... Summit Racing needs to step up their game.

Maybe that's something I can find locally?

Anyway, as I was replacing the spark wires, I noticed that every single wire was burned to a crisp near the headers.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an update. With the new distributor and wires installed, I got the balls to turn the key. Fired RIGHT up, and the timing mark was right at 0°, albeit jumping back and forth a little bit.

I plugged in the computer timing wire and holy crap it idled smooth as silk.

Ok. Time to finish the engine break in, right? Wrong! My assistant (Wife) says cylinder #7 exhaust pipe is still cherry red. Everything else looked ok. My gawd the heat coming from those headers is still insane. I'm about to go back to stock manifolds. Still all kinds of smoke and nasty smells coming from the engine bay.

We thought ok, since this thing at least starts, let's pull it outside. This way, any fumes/smoke/fire won't be as much of a hazard.

So, I pressed the clutch, threw it in reverse, and slowly let 'er rip.... except it didn't. I have good clutch pedal, but no gears at all. Nothing. Great :mad: :mad: :mad: