Cranks but won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could call holley and ask about these:

I did indeed call Holley and asked about those manifolds. They will NOT fit heads with angled plugs. I'm just going to have to work with what I have.

Took off the headers again today whilst waiting on another set of plug wires. I'm going to massage them a bit with the acetylene torch. Also, more plug wire insulators came in. Summit Racing actually beat Rock Auto this time.

ALSO: While taking off the driver side header, I notice that that fire from before did more damage than I had originally seen.

Yikes!

You must be registered for see images attach

So that's going to obviously get fixed before the driver side header goes back on. That means another trip to the yard for wiring. Grrrrrrr. Oh, and the thing that sucks about that is that the yard I go to has stopped their summer hours, which means they close at 4:30 every day now. This complicates things.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would be pulling a valve cover to make sure no rockers are loose. Hope for the best but prepare the worst. refer to playingwithtbi's posts concerning lifters that suddenly start to clatter.

Do we have a link to said post?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been reading these replies.... to set everyone's mind at ease, lol, lifter preload is set at 1/2 turn, per the manual.

I've never had a cam lobe wipe out. What are the symptoms if that were to happen?
Yours was post 34, his was post 35 IN THIS THREAD. Holy smokes man.Nobody can help you if you don't pay attention, or maybe it's the second guessing you throw back when people offer you advice you asked for. 1/2 turn is about .030 preload. If the rockers started clattering you might already have ground through .030+ LOBE. Yes it can happen that fast with all the cranking and no start. smh It's time to look. Spinning it and trying to get it to start is only doing more damage if it is in fact the cam wiping out.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yours was post 34, his was post 35 IN THIS THREAD. Holy smokes man.Nobody can help you if you don't pay attention, or maybe it's the second guessing you throw back when people offer you advice you asked for. 1/2 turn is about .030 preload. If the rockers started clattering you might already have ground through .030+ LOBE. Yes it can happen that fast with all the cranking and no start. smh It's time to look. Spinning it and trying to get it to start is only doing more damage if it is in fact the cam wiping out.

Oh that's what he meant by that? Jesses christ.

Alright then. Parts finally came in today. Supposed to here yesterday and that p iss es me off.

I went ahead and fixed all the burned electrical wires and secured them up out of the way. Nothing touching the headers now.

Soon as I get this thing back together and crank it.... if it starts... and if it still makes that clicking clacking sound, I'll go ahead and check for loose rockers.

DeCaff2007 is not known for attention-to-detail.

He may be a fine guy, but stuff "gets away" from him. He rushes headlong into danger.

I know it's no excuse and probably no one cares, but the channels are constantly changing in my head. It's a lot like holding down the button on a TV remote. Makes for getting bored very easily and difficulty paying attention to mostly everything. Also makes reading somewhat of a challenge. I believe it's called ADHD.

I don't know so much about rushing headlong into danger, though.

Feel better now, Schurkey?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firing an engine while not assuring the wire harness isn't laying on a header tube is rushing headlong into danger. You get impatient, and make mistakes because of it. Slow down, double-check. It's kinda like playing chess--you have to think several moves ahead.

I really believe that an on-site mentor would do you a world of good. For that matter, are there any "Adult Education" or Community College auto-mechanics programs you could sign up for? This project is giving you quite an education, but it's all learning "the hard (and expensive) way".

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really believe that an on-site mentor would do you a world of good. For that matter, are there any "Adult Education" or Community College auto-mechanics programs you could sign up for? This project is giving you quite an education, but it's all learning "the hard (and expensive) way".

Much as I'd love to be young again - I'm 44 and work full time. I hear the word mentor and I think young and irresponsible. No sir.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh that's what he meant by that? Jesses christ.

Alright then. Parts finally came in today. Supposed to here yesterday and that p iss es me off.

I went ahead and fixed all the burned electrical wires and secured them up out of the way. Nothing touching the headers now.

Soon as I get this thing back together and crank it.... if it starts... and if it still makes that clicking clacking sound, I'll go ahead and check for loose rockers.

I know it's no excuse and probably no one cares, but the channels are constantly changing in my head. It's a lot like holding down the button on a TV remote. Makes for getting bored very easily and difficulty paying attention to mostly everything. Also makes reading somewhat of a challenge. I believe it's called ADHD.

I don't know so much about rushing headlong into danger, though.

Feel better now, Schurkey?
Dude, I can be an ass, I'll give you that. Adhd, i know how difficult that can be, I'll give you that, Asking for advice then ignoring it, doing the exact opposite, or being argumentative about it is a different disorder I have also dealt with, with others. Clinical terminology escapes me at the moment. Myself and my ex were part of a respite program in MD. We watched Autistic, Asbergers, ADHD children one weekend a month to give families a break. Been around way worse and there was some training I had to participate in to have the kids in our house. All through this whole endeavor of yours I've said multiple times in one way or another to slow down, be patient, pay attention to what's being said, this is where being impatient is a gotcha, etc. I have to agree with Schurkey, a mentor, a mentor is not someone immature or irresponsible, a mentor guides you and makes sure you're making the right steps in the right order. Again, you're argumentative. Many of us here have tried to help you, you disappear and come back later "I did xyz instead of suggested abc and now it's not working." When I started working on engines we didn't have the internet, machine shops and engine builders wouldn't tell you anything. Figuring stuff out on our own after it blew up was normal. It's a different world now, use it to your advantage. If I told you I never had a cam wipe out buring break in I'd be lying. Been there done that, but nobody can save you from yourself if you don't ask or don't disclose what your doing, what your next step is going to be, or have an issue with someone being authoritative.

The internet, this site, are invaluable tools but you have to be receptive to and use the information. Not every one is going to spoon feed it delicately.

Last edited: