Crank Sensor CKP Relearn “out of range” Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonE

Reaction score
I meant the actual numbers of the codes, like P0XXX.

Also have you tried disconnecting the battery for 5-10min? You did disconnect the battery before swapping PCMs right?

The battery was disconnected the whole time. I tend to not pay much attention the the P codes, I’ll post them tomorrow afternoon. Not heading back out to the shop tonight.

BrandonE

Reaction score
Also what brand of sensor did you replace the faulty one with? If it was a cheapo then it may be dead again. Have you tried swapping the original PCM back in to see if the relearn code persists?

I’m sure it was a Delco sensor. When it was bad the engine would only start then immediately die, right now it runs and drives. Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not going to swap the wiring back to the black box connectors.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m sure it was a Delco sensor. When it was bad the engine would only start then immediately die, right now it runs and drives. Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not going to swap the wiring back to the black box connectors.

This seems to be making more sense now. So you did the 0411 PCM swap? If so that's why I was surprised to hear you needed a crank relearn. The black box PCMs don't require one when you swap them out in my experience. I've been talking about stock GMT400 black box PCMs this whole time.

EDIT - Yeah, apparently I missed that part in the original post. Sorry!

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the timing is too far out but it seems to run too good for that. The timing on the scanner is saying zero but I moved the distributor and that didn’t change. It is a 98 with a 411 swap and a bunch of mods. Only codes are the CKP relearn and egr.
This is a Vortec, right? How does moving the distributor change the timing? Timing is not controlled by distributor position.

What is the cam sensor/crank sensor offset? Is that what you mean by "crank relearn"?

BrandonE

Reaction score
So not much help from Black Bear over the phone. Have to wait for the tuner to reply to email apparently. The codes are P1336 and P0405. Anyone know if the P0405 EGR code could/would prevent the relearn process?

This is a Vortec, right? How does moving the distributor change the timing? Timing is not controlled by distributor position.

What is the cam sensor/crank sensor offset? Is that what you mean by "crank relearn"?

It is a vortec truck, the timing is still set by the distributor position as I understand it. 0* needs to be set via a scanner but it is achieved by moving the distributor the old fashioned way.

BrandonE

Reaction score
I plugged the old egr valve into the harness and that code went away but didn’t help the relearn. That is now the only code. I hate to throw parts at it but there is some play in the gear and some uneven wear on the distributor gear so I’m going to order a new one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The codes are P1336 and P0405.
Thanks for that. I was half expecting P1345.

It is a vortec truck, the timing is still set by the distributor position as I understand it.
Absolutely NOT. Distributor position does not change timing, because the base timing is set by the CRANK SENSOR, while all the advance is done electronically. Turning the distributor does nothing but align the cam sensor to the crank sensor; it assures that the spark has to jump the minimum distance from rotor to spark plug wire terminal. The computer uses the cam-to-crank sensor alignment to determine which cylinder is misfiring. Beyond that, turning the distributor has NOTHING to do with ignition timing.

0* needs to be set via a scanner but it is achieved by moving the distributor the old fashioned way.
"0, + or - 2 degrees" is the spec for synchronizing the cam sensor to the crank sensor. Has NOTHING to do with the ignition timing.

BrandonE

Reaction score
Ok. That makes sense. So It makes sense that the sync is not reading since the “CKP system variation is not learned”? Narrowing down which is a symptom of which is my first problem.