Crank Sensor CKP Relearn “out of range” Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonE

Reaction score
I have a Black Bear tune and I know I should ask them but hoping to get some direction before Monday. The truck runs well but I can’t get the CKP relearn to wor on my Snap On Verus or my friends never Snap On scanner. Both give a “Request Out Of Range” error. Any ideas? Neither of us have seen that error before. Sounds like the timing is too far out but it seems to run too good for that. The timing on the scanner is saying zero but I moved the distributor and that didn’t change. It is a 98 with a 411 swap and a bunch of mods. Only codes are the CKP relearn and egr.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year is the truck? Is it throwing any codes for the crank relearn or are you just trying to do it because their website says you need to?

The reason I asked is I read the FAQs on their website before they tuned my red truck and went through a similar ordeal. I thought the crank relearn was necessary because their site mentioned it, but my '97 never threw a code and ran fine. I had my mechanic try to do the crank relearn procedure on the truck with a Tech-2 and he had similar results. Long story short I emailed Black Bear and Justin told me that it's usually not required on these trucks. As long as it's running well and not throwing any codes I'd say you're fine without the crank relearn.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To clarify, I think it's only the newer trucks/PCMs that require a crank relearn. Like GMT800s on up.

99escladel31

Reaction score
I have a Black Bear tune and I know I should ask them but hoping to get some direction before Monday. The truck runs well but I can’t get the CKP relearn to wor on my Snap On Verus or my friends never Snap On scanner. Both give a “Request Out Of Range” error. Any ideas? Neither of us have seen that error before. Sounds like the timing is too far out but it seems to run too good for that. The timing on the scanner is saying zero but I moved the distributor and that didn’t change. It is a 98 with a 411 swap and a bunch of mods. Only codes are the CKP relearn and egr.

check distributor gear for damage and timing and shaft horizontal play at the top/rotor

BrandonE

Reaction score
I’ll check that, the distributor is not new. So you’re thinking the timing is what’s out of range also? Thank you.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll check that, the distributor is not new. So you’re thinking the timing is what’s out of range also? Thank you.

What df said. If it’s not throwing a code, it’s actually the Verus that is confused and a error in Snap On’s programming. I have heard about this before.
I don’t think there is a relearn for the 1st gen Vortecs.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it’s not throwing a code, it’s actually the Verus that is confused and a error in Snap On’s programming.

Like I said earlier, my red '97 did the same thing even on a legit GM Tech-2. The option was there in the menus but the relearn would never complete successfully. My guess would be because the PCM knew it wasn't necessary. (No codes, ran fine)

If the truck in question is really throwing a code over this (which I doubt) then I'd try to find someone with a legit Tech-2 and try the relearn with that. Maybe if it's actually necessary the procedure will complete successfully.

@BrandonE What codes are you getting specifically?

BrandonE

Reaction score
It is throwing the learn required code. That nd the egr are the only ones currently. There is a relearn for the 96+ trucks. I did it last year when the sensor puked and I replaced it. It worked fine then with the same scanner but original engine and pcm.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I meant the actual numbers of the codes, like P0XXX.

Also have you tried disconnecting the battery for 5-10min? You did disconnect the battery before swapping PCMs right?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also what brand of sensor did you replace the faulty one with? If it was a cheapo then it may be dead again. Have you tried swapping the original PCM back in to see if the relearn code persists?