93 5.7 swap ckp wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis243

Reaction score
I currently put a efi setup on a new crate motor and dropped it in my 93 1500. Trying to get my 4l60e to shift (stuck in second) I hooked up the tach wire from old coil wire to new hei distributor thinking that was the problem but I read that a guy also switched his ckp signal wire to read off the tach as well and fixed the no shift (limp mode) problem. But my current problem is I can’t find the ckp wires/plug. Note: I don’t want to spend the $800 on the efi wiring harness for the transmission to run off the efi, if I don’t have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you don't have wire diagrams. And don't have any install references for this swap. What's a " ckp " . I'm not familiar with that abbreviation. What was your plan?

Travis243

Reaction score
I do not have any wire diagrams, and as far as install references I know where everything is suppose to be if I was running the TBI throttle body and the whole factory harness. But the efi setup only uses the a/c, alternator, and it runs everything else off of its own harness since it’s a standalone. Ckp would be the crank position sensor. I’ve seen a guy take the signal wire off the crank position sensor, wire it to the tach wire on the distributor, there for the pcm has a signal for what range it needs to shift at. Therefore that’s my plan but I’m assuming the wires are broke off somewhere due to not finding the three wires anywhere. My other thought is to find the crank position signal wire pin on the pcm side and wire it in that way to see if the transmission will shift.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don’t know that the TBI generations have a ckp. The vortecs do though, it’s mounted to the timing cover and the sensor reads off of a reluctor ring mounted in front of the chain.
You must be registered for see images attach

Travis243

Reaction score
That’s what I thought, but everything I’ve been reading has been saying the 93’s do have a ckp. I’ve been stumped all day on it. Only other thing I can think of is the solenoids being bad inside of the transmission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only other thing is the CAM position sensor in the distributor. That’s where the RPM signal comes from I thought.

Travis243

Reaction score
The only other thing is the CAM position sensor in the distributor. That’s where the RPM signal comes from I thought.
And I have that hooked up to the hei distributor so my rpm gauge works on the factory gauge cluster