93 5.7 swap ckp wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis243

Reaction score
'93 does not have a crank position sensor, TBI engines run off from the distributor reference signal if I remeber correc
No, make sure that your TPS is both wired and working correctly
tps working on the efi side, as far as getting it to work for the transmission, any suggestions? The rpm gauge moves on the gauge cluster so I could only assume it would also be working on the pickup side?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently put a efi setup on a new crate motor and dropped it in my 93 1500. Trying to get my 4l60e to shift (stuck in second) I hooked up the tach wire from old coil wire to new hei distributor thinking that was the problem but I read that a guy also switched his ckp signal wire to read off the tach as well and fixed the no shift (limp mode) problem.
WHICH "HEI" distributor are we talking about? One that's NOT computer controlled, and has vacuum advance, centrifugal advance, and a 4-pin module that can't communicate with the TBI computer needed for transmission control?

The OEM TBI computer has no RPM signal, which it needs to control the transmisson. The dash tach has an RPM signal, but not the computer.

The computer on a TBI gets it's RPM signal from the pickup coil, processed by the 8-pin ignition module, and then sent to the computer via the wire harness.

How the Chi-Fi injection computer works in all of this, and shares sensor data with the OEM TBI computer, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Travis243

Reaction score
WHICH "HEI" distributor are we talking about? One that's NOT computer controlled, and has vacuum advance, centrifugal advance, and a 4-pin module that can't communicate with the TBI computer needed for transmission control?

The OEM TBI computer has no RPM signal, which it needs to control the transmisson. The dash tach has an RPM signal, but not the computer.

The computer on a TBI gets it's RPM signal from the pickup coil, processed by the 8-pin ignition module, and then sent to the computer via the wire harness.

How the Chi-Fi injection computer works in all of this, and shares sensor data with the OEM TBI computer, I have no idea.
The efi setup isn’t sharing data with the TBI computer at all, as far as all the signals I have right now would be rpm signal for the dash and speedometer. Surely if I was able to tap into the rpm wire (and figure out what the second wire I need wether it’s a ground, power, or another signal wire). Use a 2 pin connector and plug it into the 8 pin ignition module box and connect the harness’ up, theoretically my transmission would work?

Last edited:

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently put a efi setup on a new crate motor and dropped it in my 93 1500. Trying to get my 4l60e to shift (stuck in second) I hooked up the tach wire from old coil wire to new hei distributor thinking that was the problem but I read that a guy also switched his ckp signal wire to read off the tach as well and fixed the no shift (limp mode) problem. But my current problem is I can’t find the ckp wires/plug. Note: I don’t want to spend the $800 on the efi wiring harness for the transmission to run off the efi, if I don’t have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TBI uses TPS and VSS for transmission shifting. Are you certain you have a TPS input to the PCM?