Cracked, NEW AC Delco water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAnthony

Reaction score
New to the group! I installed a new AC Delco Gold water pump from Rock Auto on my 99' K3500 w/454 along with a bunch of other repairs and upgrades over the past 2 weeks. Finally taking it for a ride last night (mind you it has had a couple hours of idle time and a few heat cycles prior to driving) and to my surprise, about 5 minutes into my drive the left side of the pump cracked and spewed all my coolant out, thankfully not far from home. Rock Auto will accept a warranty return on the pump since it was purchased only 3 weeks ago, but I don't know if I want to install another one of the AC Delco pumps. I've had and have worked on many small and big block Chevys and have never had this happen. The block surfaces were super clean before install and the bolts were snugged before tightening. Anybody have this happen before? Anybody have a reference on a different/better pump? Rock Auto also sells the GM Genuine pump for $228. That is an option as well. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7245.jpeg
    IMG_7245.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 20

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wow, thats too bad to hear, AC Delco Gold is my go-to for most Rock Auto orders. I thought they were better than this. I've never had any problems with them, knock on wood. Maybe try a warranty pump first?

Welcome BTW, you should post an intro thread with truck pics

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Sometimes you can get a bad new part, right out of the box or one that goes bad quickly. IMO, I always use Genuine GM parts when available and AC Delco second. Yes is more expensive. Use 237961921213434777, expires May 31, as a discount code for 5% off the part. When you have the part loaded in the cart and have the shipping on there, just go to the section that asks "How did you hear about us" and enter the code and just click enter and you will see the discount amount and the total will be adjusted. Here is a later expiration code...266938596239650905 Expires June 21.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New to the group! I installed a new AC Delco Gold water pump from Rock Auto on my 99' K3500 w/454 along with a bunch of other repairs and upgrades over the past 2 weeks. Finally taking it for a ride last night (mind you it has had a couple hours of idle time and a few heat cycles prior to driving) and to my surprise, about 5 minutes into my drive the left side of the pump cracked and spewed all my coolant out, thankfully not far from home. Rock Auto will accept a warranty return on the pump since it was purchased only 3 weeks ago, but I don't know if I want to install another one of the AC Delco pumps. I've had and have worked on many small and big block Chevys and have never had this happen. The block surfaces were super clean before install and the bolts were snugged before tightening. Anybody have this happen before? Anybody have a reference on a different/better pump? Rock Auto also sells the GM Genuine pump for $228. That is an option as well. Thanks in advance!
That looks like a stress fracture. Someone may have used that area for leverage. If not you then the person who owned it before you and returned it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Did the belt break? Seems like we had a member within the last few years have something similar happen on a small block. I think it was theorized that the belt broke and wrapped around something then got pulled hard enough to pull things apart. Maybe do a forum search, and see if you can find that thread.

I've got a Airtex pump, that replaced a Gates pump. The Gates only lasted a year or two before the seal started leaking. Prior to that I had GM pumps.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way I understand it from some other posts is ac delco takes the cheapest bid on parts and boxes them up, usually China Mexico or Brazil, and maybe Canada. Finding good aftermarket manufacturers of part that are quality is getting real hit and miss which is scary and hurts the reliability of our trucks. Hunt for good oem parts if available.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a casting. Depending on material quality, they can be easily damaged. Dropping on a leg could induce stress fractures that appear with heat and use. Quality control is 1 in 1000 failure rate, you got lucky. Unless it's obvious, be glad you aren't in the middle of Sahara desert, no cell, surrounded by Bedouin warriors. But ya got warranty!

GAnthony

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Sometimes you can get a bad new part, right out of the box or one that goes bad quickly. IMO, I always use Genuine GM parts when available and AC Delco second. Yes is more expensive. Use 237961921213434777, expires May 31, as a discount code for 5% off the part. When you have the part loaded in the cart and have the shipping on there, just go to the section that asks "How did you hear about us" and enter the code and just click enter and you will see the discount amount and the total will be adjusted. Here is a later expiration code...266938596239650905 Expires June 21.
Thank you for the discount code! I'll likely order the genuine GM. The bad Delco Gold may have been a fluke, but I'm a bit gun shy now.
I replaced mine 3 years ago with a NOS Made In USA water pump. No regrets.
That description says "clockwise rotation". I need reverse rotation or counter clockwise. Or am I missing something?
Did the belt break? Seems like we had a member within the last few years have something similar happen on a small block. I think it was theorized that the belt broke and wrapped around something then got pulled hard enough to pull things apart. Maybe do a forum search, and see if you can find that thread.

I've got a Airtex pump, that replaced a Gates pump. The Gates only lasted a year or two before the seal started leaking. Prior to that I had GM pumps.
No belt breakage. Water pump is the only failure that I can see. Belt is still on. I could believe a broken and bound up belt could do that though.
Wow, thats too bad to hear, AC Delco Gold is my go-to for most Rock Auto orders. I thought they were better than this. I've never had any problems with them, knock on wood. Maybe try a warranty pump first?

Welcome BTW, you should post an intro thread with truck pics
I'll do that. I see the introductions section in the members area now. Just gotta get some pics of my junk (without coolant pouring out the bottom).

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That description says "clockwise rotation". I need reverse rotation or counter clockwise. Or am I missing something?
I don’t understand that either. Was mostly just an example. I don’t have much faith in garbage made today.