Cracked, NEW AC Delco water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAnthony

Reaction score
I read through that thread and a light bulb went on. That truck had a left front collision on the carfax (I bought the truck last spring). Core support and radiator are not the factory units. I replaced the radiator because the drain spout is solid molded with no hole, so the cheap petcock has to be removed entirely to drain the coolant. long story short, the petcock ears ended up breaking off as the petcock was a very tight fit. The core support has a "Made in Taiwan" decal on it. The fan and clutch could be a cheap replacement as well. I am going to replace them along with the pump this time. Thank you for that thread referral!
^^^ Yup.

FIRST things I'd be checking are the fan and fan clutch.
SECOND things I'd be checking are the pulleys, for being bent. Does the tensioner wiggle back and forth?
Everything appeared to run smoothly to my recollection. I'll be replacing the fan and fan clutch this time around.

I was running it hard on that test drive, which aligns with that water pump failure thread and his experiences at 4000rpm.

GAnthony

Reaction score
Well, anybody have a link or a reference for a fan? Rock auto lists the clutch but not a fan. If there's a cross reference that somebody knows of, please share. Summit sells 11 blade plastic fans but they're listed for the 5.7L and I don't know if they would move enough air?? Or if they mount to the clutch properly.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well, anybody have a link or a reference for a fan? Rock auto lists the clutch but not a fan. If there's a cross reference that somebody knows of, please share. Summit sells 11 blade plastic fans but they're listed for the 5.7L and I don't know if they would move enough air?? Or if they mount to the clutch properly.

GAnthony

Reaction score
Got it in my cart. Thank you again!

GAnthony

Reaction score
I want to post an update and some more pics. If the fan clutch I purchased was GM original, as stated in the Rock Auto description (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), then mine was not original. The fan, I don't know because I replaced the 9 blade steel with an 11 blade plastic. A very notable difference on the GM original water pump I bought is a casting rib by each of 3 of the mounting holes (the forth hole has the water pump inlet in the way of casting a rib into it). The water pump that cracked (BTW, BOTH sides were cracked) did not have these casting ribs, nor did the weeping pump I set out to replace during this fiasco. Anyway, here are some pics for comparison. I flogged the truck a bit on the test drive and nothing blew apart, so hopefully it's fixed :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_7267.jpeg
    IMG_7267.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7268.jpeg
    IMG_7268.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7266.jpeg
    IMG_7266.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7270.jpeg
    IMG_7270.jpeg