brand new ac compressor rattle ac delco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i replaced my ac compressor with a new ac delco unit a couple years ago and it’s been making rattle noises since day one, whenever the clutch is engaged. should i still have this replaced with the sanden upgraded part? not sure if the rattle is hurting cooling performance. it’s pretty audible when my truck is stationary especially when another car is next to me for the sound to reflect off of

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It might be the compressor, it might be your belt tensioner. I've seen the Dayco type tensioners (the ones that look like a snare drum with the bolt sticking out, vs. recessed like a Gates) oscillate excessively when the A/C clutch engages, and it sounds all the world like a bad A/C compressor. Watch while your compressor kicks in and see if the tensioner is jumping around a lot.

Richard

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you installed it did you pour the oil into the intake port? Then turn it with a ratchet at least 20 times? The compressors I’ve bought were very adamant about this in the instructions. I learned about this the hard way. Once I started doing that they last quite a while and stay quiet

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you installed it did you pour the oil into the intake port? Then turn it with a ratchet at least 20 times? The compressors I’ve bought were very adamant about this in the instructions. I learned about this the hard way. Once I started doing that they last quite a while and stay quiet
honestly i cant remember. compressor has like 20k miles on it so far and seems to be working okay, minus the noise since day one. i dont have another gmt400 to compare AC so i dont know how much better it can be, if any. noise is just annoying since the rest of the motor is quiet