Cracked 5.7 block at Starter Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattyg

Reaction score
New parts are rolling in and the motor is almost ready to be removed. A bit easier working under the hood than my old 6.0 powerstroke, not as easy as my old ram 360 gasser.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was under the impression MIG was not adequate for cast iron? But you could use SMAW (besides TIG or brazing) with that special nickel rod and pre/post heat. But I've never had a need to weld C.I. so I honestly don't know.

You don't think the CNG would cause this, right? I'm just asking because @kennythewelder asked about compression.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was under the impression MIG was not adequate for cast iron? But you could use SMAW (besides TIG or brazing) with that special nickel rod and pre/post heat. But I've never had a need to weld C.I. so I honestly don't know.

You don't think the CNG would cause this, right? I'm just asking because @kennythewelder asked about compression.
Muggy weld makes fine arc rods for welding cast also. I migged plenty even though I have a Lincoln precision tig 225 and an oxy torch that I could have heated the **** out of it and brazed them with. Mig works fine may not be the best but never broke and worked great and just easier in a confined area. I am not here to argue but I know mig works with e70s6 and c25 just fine, if the engine was out of the truck I would consider fixing it a different way , But seriously I would probably still mig it. I have had guys argue about whether the stater brace is necessary also and ,I think it is , and always put them on if someone removed them or whatever but some never seem to see the need for them.

Last edited: