Cracked 5.7 block at Starter Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It was traditional for Chevy, Olds, Buick, Cadillac to have no gasket between the cast-iron exhaust manifold and the cast-iron head surface.

I can't see how that would seal, but I've heard it said several times. I think my Buick has gaskets, but I haven't owned it since new either.

haroldwca

Reaction score
+1 on welding the stud and the fracture. Just be sure to run the stud in all the way, and then grind the crack all the way down and weld it back. It will be stronger that way.

runnincool

Reaction score
I had a 350 that did that back in the early 80's, we drilled and tapped the third starter bolt hole, found a cast three bolt starter houseing and welded the crack as best we could. i think it was a nickle rod, heating the cast iron red first, ran that engine for another 10 years.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engines I worked on were much older. No gaskets. If GM started using gaskets later, I don't know about it.

Again, no mention of exhaust gaskets in my '97 service manual. But I've seen the manuals have errors before.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank,
Got any pics of how to mount the brace?
Here's the general idea:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The important thing is to get the brace that fits your starter and block. BBC and SBC are different; I'm thinking there's more than one SBC brace.